Civil Engineering Association
Shear Wall Highly Stress at Corner - Printable Version

+- Civil Engineering Association (https://forum.civilea.com)
+-- Forum: Software (https://forum.civilea.com/forum-65.html)
+--- Forum: Software Installation Problems & Bugs (https://forum.civilea.com/forum-106.html)
+---- Forum: Archive Problem (https://forum.civilea.com/forum-28.html)
+---- Thread: Shear Wall Highly Stress at Corner (/thread-17901.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Shear Wall Highly Stress at Corner - chigozie - 10-22-2010

I am afraid that I did not understand you. Please, could you upload screen shots and if possible, rephrase your question?
Regards
Teddy

RE: Shear Wall Highly Stress at Corner - techno - 10-23-2010

i don knw how to attach the picture.

For example, a simply supported transfer beam which is supporting 10 storey high RC wall. After the analysis, the axial load will be very high at both corner. So, how to cater this high stress at corner?

RE: Shear Wall Highly Stress at Corner - chigozie - 10-23-2010

techno wrote:-
...a simply supported transfer beam which is supporting 10 storey high RC wall. After the analysis, the axial load will be very high at both corner. So, how to cater this high stress at corner? ....
Comment:-
How do you design a beam for axial load? Beams are designed for moments and shear forces and not for axial loads. Like I said before now, I am afraid that I do not understand you.
If you do not know how to upload screen shots, take a look at the resources in this forum on how to do it. Use the search option and locate issue that dealt with how to attach screen shots.
Regards
Teddy

RE: Shear Wall Highly Stress at Corner - zipatton - 10-23-2010

Hi sirs,

Don't worry, that is the problem given by the discretization in finite elements method. The analysis result gives always very high level of stresses in front of the load application or the angles of elements. What i use to do : i make the average value from the towo parts of the high value. For exemple if I get 100 MPa in the corner, 20 MPa one meter at right and 35 MPa in left, I make the design with (100+20+35)/3= 55 MPa. Thats takes account of the local plastification and all the special behavior wich cannot be taken in elastic analysis.

Hope it is helpfull

Best regards

Zipatton

RE: Shear Wall Highly Stress at Corner - techno - 10-23-2010

chigazie: This topic is regarding RC WALL. From the beginning, i am talking about the axial load at WALL but not BEAM. Definitely i know a beam is designed for moment and shear. anyway, appreciate your COMMENTS. If u ever do a shear wall design from ETABS analysis result then surely u knw what i am talking about.

Zippatton:
is that realistic in what u r doing?

RE: Shear Wall Highly Stress at Corner - chigozie - 10-23-2010

techno wrote:-
...This topic is regarding RC WALL. From the beginning, i am talking about the axial load at WALL but not BEAM....
Comment:-
If you are talking of RC WALL, then why did you say "transfer beam?" There is a world of difference between wall and transfer beam. So please present information as they are as we are neither magicians nor with you to know the exact situation. By so doing, you will be saving your time as well as ours, so that we do not have to repeat same and vain issues all and all over again.
Regards
Teddy

RE: Shear Wall Highly Stress at Corner - lesgiu - 10-23-2010

I believe the problem here is a point load acting in the corner of the wall. You should check that zone for crushing of the concrete.

RE: Shear Wall Highly Stress at Corner - zipatton - 10-24-2010

Hi, *
sure that what i do is more realistic than taking the value of elastic analysis
Best regards
Zipatt

RE: Shear Wall Highly Stress at Corner - techno - 10-24-2010

Zippatton: Appreciate ur explaination. Is it possible to give me a snapshot?

RE: Shear Wall Highly Stress at Corner - zipatton - 10-24-2010

Hi Sir,

a concentrated load is a virtual concept. In fact, all the loads impact in an small area with a lenght of application. It is a common simplification to consider a point for a concentrated load. And that gives a very high stresses in the area of the impact in the FE analysis. If you apply the load with 5 or 10 centimeters lentgh (what is the reality of the impact of beams or columns), you will se that teh stresses become low.
All the young engineers want to pick up all the behavior with calculation. But they forgot that everytime, it is necessary to reexamine the reality instead of the model. Remember that a calculation model is not the reality. It is a approximation of it.
And what I do is exactly what i explain.

Best regards

Zippat