Civil Engineering Association

Full Version: Need help for structural engineering
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello Friends,

I am civil engineer...I have 5+ year experience in construction industry... For 3 years working as a site engineer then moved to office job.....And now 2.5 years exp as a BIM supporter....I know everything about BIM .....I have exp in Nemetschek ALLPLAN, Revit Architecture/structure...Onscreen takeoff....Sage timberline estimating...synchro 4D....but Now I am very curious to learn some structural analysis software...I have started to learn RAM structural system....I made small job in revit structure and exported in RAM....One more thing I also know how to design beam , column , foundation etc....but I want to know how to analyse FEM results....Just think that I am beginner in this filed....so can some one suggest me from where I can start...means particular book ....then fundaments theory then specific software etc.......

Basically I am from India and will move to Australia in couple of months (hopefully will get visa in 2 months:clap:) I want to do a job in office rather than on site in Australia

Plz help me ....give me a path from where I can start
You should start Prokon Software, and then staadpro and etabs.
but just do the job u ready experience is better.
Please provide the following specific information. You do not have to name the institution/place, though we know you are from India.

1. Degree, which area, how many years for the degree, any specialization etc.
2. What type of work you did after graduation
3. Are you from a college that is well known in academic institutions of Australia
4. What does BIM mean? Please explain.

Do be brief in your reply. It may help me to respond in a meaningful way. The reason for the questions is that your own experience may make you more suited to a particular direction. This doesnot preclude what you have in mind. You are young in age, and a somewhat change of focus is painless.
About the FEM soft- I would recommend Dlubal Rfem (simpliest and most user friendly FEM software I know). If you want some manuals or training videos, go to dlubal homepage.

About moving to other countries- that is also urgent problem for me. I graduated most known Civil engineering school in Latvia (masters degree- 5 years of studies) and I'm thinking about opportunities in other countries (mainly in Europe). I've also worked 5 years in Civil engineering office designing different structures etc., but have a little information about possibilities in other countries- I am willing to start with simple drafting work. What do you jigarcivil and other think about that- Is it possible to get some drafting job in other countries with no national standart knowledge etc.?

Tnx for quick reply,

Degree in Civil engineering, India, 4 year, specialization in transportation but not that much impact only 1 subject related to transportation in last year of engg.

passed out in 2005:wacko2:

3 years as a site engineer..... handling site, preparation of bill of quantities , scheduling etc....

since last 2.5 year working on BIM building information modelling

Job duties

Design co ordination
quantity take off
cost estimation of quantities as per tender
help in co ordination for architect, civil engineer, MEP
Making 3d model for all construction stages and preparing every type of drawing plan , section, elevation, details, schedule etc...
Digital terrain modelling
verification of design and construction documents
Land development
4D construction planning
preparation of monthly and weekly project progress reports

3. Are you from a college that is well known in academic institutions of Australia

Passed out 2005 in civil engineer from India....applied for PR...got state sponsorship..just waiting for medical and PCC call so will get PR in few months...so now no qualification from Australia but in a future

4. What does BIM mean? Please explain

Building information modelling ...software like Nementschek allplan , revit arch/structure, synchro 4D, Navisworks

(12-31-2010, 02:13 PM)ravisbassi Wrote: [ -> ]Please provide the following specific information. You do not have to name the institution/place, though we know you are from India.

4. What does BIM mean? Please explain.

Do be brief in your reply. It may help me to respond in a meaningful way. The reason for the questions is that your own experience may make you more suited to a particular direction. This doesnot preclude what you have in mind. You are young in age, and a somewhat change of focus is painless.

Yes friend I am totally agree with you...Its difficult to find job in another country without knowing country construction knowledge...But I cant constrain with this limit.....I want to move to another country only for money because only it works....so I thought if I know something about structure engineering than it can help me to get job.....Even job as a draftsman will be best in other country on starting level.....If I will get job as a draftsman then will join part time course in Master in civil/structural engg in University of Adelaide (yet not choose specific university)

Also I known that now a days BIM is most hype word in construction industry..I have checked Australian market and importance of revit arch/str has been increase by day to day..so I hope I can get this type of job...Also worked on Europe and US construction code system.....

I known that in Australian mostly job based on 12D model....but its same like Civil 3D but I cant change my whole field means from building to road/ water....so i thought to keep in same field and explore more knowledge....Also famous software like Cost X and Space gass....so will explore.... I think space gass related to structure designing and Cost X for estimating...so space gass tough for me but I can learn Cost X very easily...but main thing is to get industry knowledge rather than learning new software....I hope if i can manage with all thing thing then I will get job If not than definitely Ordinary job or post graduation options left:dash2::dash2::dash2:

(12-31-2010, 03:15 PM)falloutboy Wrote: [ -> ]About the FEM soft- I would recommend Dlubal Rfem (simpliest and most user friendly FEM software I know). If you want some manuals or training videos, go to dlubal homepage.

About moving to other countries- that is also urgent problem for me. I graduated most known Civil engineering school in Latvia (masters degree- 5 years of studies) and I'm thinking about opportunities in other countries (mainly in Europe). I've also worked 5 years in Civil engineering office designing different structures etc., but have a little information about possibilities in other countries- I am willing to start with simple drafting work. What do you jigarcivil and other think about that- Is it possible to get some drafting job in other countries with no national standart knowledge etc.?

jigarcivil - since you are relatively new to the profession, be prepared to enter the workforce at the entry level. Once you are in, say after six months to a year or so, you should be able to leverage your past experience and advance.

You are entering a new work environment. So allow for that in your calculations. By no means should you expect a smooth ride, but believe me, it works out.

As for FEM etc., you can do that once you enter that country. It will really not matter to the initial employer. They will look at what you had done. Therefore be prepared for an entry level job, and then advance quickly.

You will then know what to do. My personal preference to the question you raised is STAAD.
Tnx for you suggestion, To get entry level of job I am trying to learn this all kind of things....If I know something then some one can give me entry level job if I dont know anything then they just kick out me....

I heard from so many people STAAD pro is best software for designing and analysis....Can you provide me links for video tutorial and some example with explanation ?

Again Tnx salute sir:hunter:

(12-31-2010, 03:44 PM)ravisbassi Wrote: [ -> ]jigarcivil - since you are relatively new to the profession, be prepared to enter the workforce at the entry level. Once you are in, say after six months to a year or so, you should be able to leverage your past experience and advance.

You are entering a new work environment. So allow for that in your calculations. By no means should you expect a smooth ride, but believe me, it works out.

As for FEM etc., you can do that once you enter that country. It will really not matter to the initial employer. They will look at what you had done. Therefore be prepared for an entry level job, and then advance quickly.

You will then know what to do. My personal preference to the question you raised is STAAD.

Dear jigarcivil

Congratulation you want continue your career abroad.

If you want continue your career to Australia, of course you must know Australia Standard
You can visit this tread to find Australia Standard
Code:
Content of this section is hidden, You must be registered and activate your account to see this content. See this link to read how you can remove this limitation:

http://forum.civilea.com/thread-27464.html

You can try to learn CSI software such as ETABS & SAP2000 beside STAAD Pro.
You can get CSI software here :
Code:
Content of this section is hidden, You must be registered and activate your account to see this content. See this link to read how you can remove this limitation:

You can get/search training video here :
Code:

I hope my explanation above useful for you
Thx
Dear jigarcivil,

There is another FEM software that the Aussie engineer usually to design that is Spacegass. It is similar to STAAD. In the forum you can search to find the med. and using the help to learn the soft.

I think you should also try to read the Australia standard or design books to understand.

Good luck
Hi

Other than spacegas u should familiar also with Microstran. MS Tower, and Strand7.