Civil Engineering Association

Full Version: Regarding To " Codes , Manuals, And Handbook"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4

Dear friends,
Allow me to join in the discussion, please.
I think the topic of standards should not be seen limited.The European standards are not only Eurocodes, contrary Eurocodes are very little part of the huge quantity of the European standards.
While reading the posts I noticed that the topic is new for most members of the forum, so I'll give you a few simple explanations.
The European standards are two major groups - unharmonized and harmonized. The difference between these two types is essential, the harmonized standards are related to products that can be exported - chemical admixtures, precast concrete products, steel and others.
You should know one imortant fact about the harmonized standards - they are binding on all member countries of EUROPEAN UNION, There has to be the same requirements for products, no matter in what country of the Union you are located.
Other standards - such as EN 206-1 are not harmonized, as requirements to the concrete cannot be the same within the European Union, mainly due to differences in climatic conditions and peculiarities in the national construction practice. For example, Greece, Spain on one side and Norway on the other.
Much of the standards have national annexes, but it must be clear one thing about them - the annexes are valid only for the teritory of the given country and it can not contradict the basic standard.
I hope with the above I was useful to participants.
Regards.
Don't forget the NDS - National design specification for wood
@ ir_71:
Thanks for making some things more clear concerning EN documents. I'm happy to see your contribution here.

@ lesgiu:
I found just one document concerning NDS posted in this forum so I think those documents can be posted in "Other" subsection.

OK, can we have then subsection called "European Codes", so all the European codes can be posted in? Do you all agree about that or if not, I'll be more than glad to see one good suggestion about the title for European codes/ standards/ norms in such why that suggestion isn't mine. (I believe the DIN can also be posted into "European Codes" subsection)

Or - should we have subsections organized in this way:

African Codes, Norms and Standards
Asian Codes, Norms and Standards
Australian and Oceanian Codes, Norms and Standards
European Codes, Norms and Standards
North American Codes, Norms and Standards
South American Codes, Norms and Standards

Or? Lets make final decission on this.

Best regards to all
Grunf
Grunf
I agree with you for arranging the section as per your suggestion in post no #5.
Regards.
All ideas are great. I find the listing in Post#9 close to where we want to go. The "ANSI & ASTM" should be interchanged to read "ASTM & ANSI" to reflect their general importance and usage. The NDS code probably goes under "Other" since there are not too many publications coming from them. My views do not reflect any comments on EN or BS - I do not have any experience with those.
Just a suggestion - Create another heading under "Other US" and subheadings of FEMA, PCA, FHWA/NHI (Federal Highway Administration, National Highway Institute), ACOE (Army Corps of Engineers), Others - here can be filed the rest like NDS, NAVFAC (Naval Facilities Command), TRB (Transportation Research Board), etc. etc.
Dear ravisbassi,

Can you explain you suggestion more clearly? Or to confirm my claim if I'm right. Did you mean this:

AASHTO (American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials)
ACI (American Concrete Institute)
ASTM & ANSI (American Society for Testing and Materials & American National Standards Institute)
ASCE (American Society of Civil Engineers)
Australian Codes
DIN (Deutsches Institut für Normung - eng. German Institute for Standardization)
European Standards and Norms (British Standards - BS & European Norms' - EN)
Chinese Codes
Canadian Codes (Canadian Standards Association - CSA, Canadian Institute of Steel Construction - CSIC, National Research Council - NRC)
ICC (International Codes Council)
Indian Codes
Other US Codes (Federal Emergency Management Agency - FEMA, Portland Cement Association - PCA, Federal Highway Administration - FHWA, National Highway Institute - NHI, Army Corps of Engineers - ACOE)
Other

It would be really difficult and unnecessarily to create subsection of subsection - so I propose this division (list) of sections.

With regards
Grunf
Dear all, allow me to join this discussion with my small suggestion.
I am not well versed with all the other codes except for British and the Eurocode.
So i would request Grunf to try n consider this.
Suppose we have:
1) European Standards
a) To be superseded by the Eurocode
i) BS
ii)DIN
iii)Portuguese
iv) Spanish, etc
b) Eurocode
i) BS EN, and Annexes
ii)DIN EN, and Annexes, etc

Just a suggestion.
New list:

• AASHTO
    American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials

• ACI
    American Concrete Institute

• ASCE
    American Society of Civil Engineers

• ASTM & ANSI
    American Society for Testing and Materials & American National Standards Institute

• Australian and New Zealand Codes

• Canadian Codes
    Canadian Standards Association - CSA, Canadian Institute of Steel Construction - CSIC, National Research Council - NRC

• Chinese Codes

• European Standards (CEN Standards)
    CEN (European Committee for Standardization) - EN (including Eurocodes), BS EN and Annexes, DIN EN, and Annexes, etc.

• European National Standards
    British Standards - BS, Deutsches Institut für Normung - eng. German Institute for Standardization - DIN, Portuguese, Spanish, etc.

• Indian Codes

• Middle East Codes
    Qatar Construction Specifications - QCS, Saudi Arabia, Iran, etc.

• Other US Codes
    Federal Emergency Management Agency - FEMA, Portland Cement Association - PCA, Federal Highway Administration - FHWA, National Highway Institute - NHI, US Army Corps of Engineers - USACOE

• Other

Is this OK now? If OK, press THANKS button, if not OK writte a new suggestion.
I'm making a reminder - those titles and abbreviations in brackets goes in the description below every title of subsection - meaning this:

ASCE
American Society of Civil Engineers
Grunf,

All look good. To reduce the length of the callout for Other US Codes, just leave it at their abbreviation. People who are searching for them will understand. So how about:

Other Codes - US only (FEMA, PCA, FHWA/NHI, USACOE, etc.)
Other Codes

The USACOE stands for US Army Corps of Engineers - their formal name.

This layout should be good for now. In future we can always tweak, if necessary. Thanks.

New list is updated above (post #18) - I really hope this would be the final touch for now. (I'll update list in post #18 with other suggestions - if any)

I've put the meaning for all the abbreviations for other members not related in other codes.

I'd like we make this list as final untill the end of this working week (friday) - I think we'll end in "deep-waters" if this discussion continues to develope after friday (we all already gargling - just kidding)

Best regards to all making their mark here :JC_handshake:
Grunf
Pages: 1 2 3 4