Civil Engineering Association

Full Version: ETABS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
hi,i modeled my structure using Etabs,can i get it's detailes with autocad structural detailing?
hi, everybody!

may I ask you, how many are type of center in model when we assign diagram for slab?in may opinion, there are two type of center such as torsional center and stiffness center.but when we assign dynamic wind in building, the point of applied load is not been at two these center?
thank you very much!

Best & regard

civilphongvan.
Have anyone calculated the shear from the lateral loads transferred at the podium level to the perimeter retaining systems. It is huge. Please help me
I think Etabs can't detail. If you use ASD, you should combine with Revit.
Regard.
Hi skyscraper,
From your words, I gues your building is a tall building containing : basement, podium & tower
I guess you separate your building into 3 model : basement, podium & tower ?
If what I guess correct, why you did not model all your building in a file of etabs ?
Doing separate analysis, do not represent real condition of the building.
I'd like to discuss tall building analysis & design ( including : calculation of R, correction of base shear, correaction of CM ... & such calculations in tall building ) with you ... if you agree.
Thanks
Paladin
dear paladin, i think you love etabs much like me..but i dont know any thing about advance topics like push over analysis...i was trying to prepare a small guide for etabs users containing simple steps and tips and tricks for RC analysis. I would love to work with you if you agree...
(09-26-2010, 06:40 AM)paladin Wrote: [ -> ]Hi skyscraper,
From your words, I gues your building is a tall building containing : basement, podium & tower
I guess you separate your building into 3 model : basement, podium & tower ?
If what I guess correct, why you did not model all your building in a file of etabs ?
Doing separate analysis, do not represent real condition of the building.
I'd like to discuss tall building analysis & design ( including : calculation of R, correction of base shear, correaction of CM ... & such calculations in tall building ) with you ... if you agree.
Thanks
Paladin

Thanks Paladin

I am involved in couples of high rise buildings design ranged from 30 to 60 storey buildings. These buildings are designed with ACI and EC8 for EQ design. There are number things encountering during the design as

1) Normally we use a another software for horizontal elements design such as RAPT and Ram Concept which are not countered the lateral loads for these elements.

2) Since the horizontal elements designed as above, in Etabs model we need to define slab as membrane and release the columns to slab connection leading cores take all lateral loads. This causes annoy due to the excessive building deflection.

3) Another approach is to define the slab as shell and do not release column connection its but for beams connected to the core. We need to do another check for slab design b double the moment diagram from Etabs to add extra bars as required.

4) However, we still got the excessive shear problem on slab , especially at the open or slab slot due to lateral loads. Take an an simple example, if we apply 50kN for 100m structures, the shear transfer at the ground floor podium will be around 100,000kN at 5m height. We do need consider somehow to transfer this shear.

may you help
Dear coolestbliss [ Post: #106 ],
You said you don't know anything about pushover analysis, to start learning pushover you must be patient & not too hurry.
To help you starting learning pushover you can read the basic knowledge at ATC 40 & FEMA 273/356 & there also others FEMA publication related to pushover but for basic FEMA 273/356 are good.
To help you learn pushover faster, I suggest you to find examples & read journal.
I think after it, minimally you know the general procedure & can start discussion.
If you don't know anything it's hard to explain it to you.
You can read my discussion in several of my threads about pushover.
Thanks
Paladin

Btw, you said will create "a small guide for etabs users containing simple steps and tips and tricks for RC analysis"
I guess you are senior enginer ?
Boss in some company usually give duty to senior engineer to create "step by step tutorial" for junior engineer, right ?
well i am not a SENIOR ENGINEER but iv very good understanding of ETABS. (not for very advanced topics like push over etc..) but for, say, the design of a small 3, 4 storey concrete buildings and then detailing it in REVIT STRUCTURE...so thats why i was saying like this and other than helping the new etabs users, it will also be good for ourselves too...to have a good manual of etabs at hand...I started this some time ago and completed the first menu that is FILE MENU in detail but its difficult for a single person while working in office...so i left it...if you say ill continue it and we can work on menu to menu...then exchange it to one, another for review and adding additional comments. any CIVILEA member is invited...thanks
Dear coolestbliss,
If you create such 'manual' it's really hard work ... explain all the menu one by one, it need time & energy to do it.
And, it's already explained in etabs manual.
I propose idea to you : choose one of your previous project, and create step by step tutorial from beginning until detailing of all RC element.
I think it will easier and not too long in create it, and for surely it will very useful.
Regards
Paladin
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12