Civil Engineering Association

Full Version: Composite steel-concrete girder (EC4) - help request
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Dear all,

Does anybody have an example of composite steel-concrete girder/ beam designed in accordance to Eurocode 4 to share? I met with this kind of problem for the first time and I would just like to see the procedure of design and analysis.
It would be great if someone can share deck rib normal to the steel beam example.

And just one more question: What are the most common spans for that kind of girders (steel-concete)? Some reasons for specific spans (if there are any)?

If someone is willing to help and maybe to send me something via e-mail, please contact me firstly by PM and I'll share my e-mail address with you.

Specific problem described above:
[Image: 62323499818653535127.jpg]

My best regards
G
I guess this could be of use to you

Code:
Content of this section is hidden, You must be registered and activate your account to see this content. See this link to read how you can remove this limitation:

http://forum.civilea.com/thread-27464.html

What are you designing? I ask because composite bridges are normally designed using din104 and not ec4, I could help you with that a bit maybe :)
Dear seb3k,

It is not a bridge it is something like industrial hall...

Please, put your links in code tags. When posting the links, post like this:
[code.]htttttp.link.something[./code] just without those red dots.
And one more thing - here is NOT allowed to post non-english material, links, etc. I think your mother language is Croatian so you can PM me in Croatian.

My best regards
G

My fault - thanks BennyP! Lapsus calami - i forgot NOT. My fault. Sorry.
Code:
Content of this section is hidden, You must be registered and activate your account to see this content. See this link to read how you can remove this limitation:

Code:

[Image: info.png]
The steel deck normally runs or spans perpendicular (normal) to the direction of beam span so that it could act as a floor supported on the beams. There is no common span for this kind of floor/beam/girder arrangement. The span depends on your exigency and this will determine the class or grade of the deck to employ, though the extent to which you could go as to the spacing of the supporting beams (i.e., the span of the deck ) depends on the class or grade of deck that is available. Determine you design load, use it to load the deck and treat it as simply supported between the adjacent beams-in which case you calculate the design bending moment as wL^2/8 or treat is as semi fixed-ended thus the design bending moment as wL^2/10. Here w = load/unit width of slab (which is the distance between adjacent crests or troughs of the deck) and L = spacing of the supporting beams (which could be primary or secondary beams). Employ the equation, design stress (s) = My/I which implies that the moment of inertia (I) of the required deck section = My/s (M being the moment that you have just calculated as above). With the moment of inertia (I) calculated above, you can chose your deck section. Check the deck for deflection (as this could govern your design-thus, determine the deck section to be used). Remember also to design the studs (which in most cases will be satisfied by the provision of the nominal quantity as recommended by the relevant code. Your framing might require you to provide lateral ties as you should avoid employing the deck as lateral support to the framework (since this could impose unexpected structural demand on the deck as such could lead to its failure). The beams and columns (frame) design follow the normal procedure. I have a design sample that I could have sent to you but it is in Italian and I am so occupied now that I won’t have enough time to translate it, but if you still needed further tips after this, please do post again.
Regards
Teddy
Dear chigozie,

Thank you for your extensive informations and guidelines. I would appreciate that if you can send me the design sample via mail. I'm not "affraid" of Italian language and I'll translate it somehow eventualy.

e-mail is grunf.von.grunt[at]hotmail.com

Thank you once again.
With regards
G
Dear Grunf,

If you visit the access steel website you will find example, flowchart, etc of design of composite steel beam with eC4 and other subjects.
Code:

If that is not enough just let me known.
Regards
Dear members,

I need just few more informations related to composite steel-concrete girder(s). I know that everything in engineering depends on ingenuity/ resourcefulness of the individual and I absolutely agree with the sentences chigozie wrote:

(04-22-2010, 10:31 AM)chigozie Wrote: [ -> ]... There is no common span for this kind of floor/beam/girder arrangement. The span depends on your exigency and this will determine the class or grade of the deck to employ, though the extent to which you could go as to the spacing of the supporting beams (i.e., the span of the deck ) depends on the class or grade of deck that is available. ...

If someone deal composite steel-concrete girder I would appreciated this kind of informations:

1. code you're dealing:
2. longest composite steel-concrete girder span you've designed:
3. type of steel beam (IPE, HEA or ...):
4. depth of concrete slab:
5. type of (trapezoidal) deck profile:
6. total designed load on deck:
7. type of structure with instaled girder:

(if you are missing some info about the girder - never mind... the important part for me is 2. Drawings and/or Photos are welcome as well)

Thank you very much in advance for any kind of help/ info. :JC_handshake:
G

p.s. if needed, you can find my e-mail in post above.
Grunf wrote in post#8
......1. code you're dealing:.....
Comment:- I think that what you are looking for comes under composite construction. Almost all the codes cover this type of construction. Since it is a composite construction, it is related to steel as well as to concrete and timber and other type of construction
....2. longest composite steel-concrete girder span you've designed:....
Comment:-If you are talking of the girder, it has no special requirement but has to be design to meet up with the strength and service requirements as all other beams; but if you are talking in terms of the steel deck, the longest span to which you could go to for a particular type of deck depends on its section modulus
.....3. type of steel beam (IPE, HEA or ...):.....
Comment:-The type of steel beam to employ depends on your choice, the constraints that you have at the site (ie the head room requirement etc), availability of the structural member and the strength and serviceability requirements
.....4. depth of concrete slab:.....
Comment:- this depends on the span of your floor, the type of deck profile that you are using and the use to which the structure is to be put into. To avoid vibration, the concrete topping should be at least 50mm above the crest of the deck, and if possible, it should be of light weight aggregate.
....5. type of (trapezoidal) deck profile:...
Comment:-There are several types as to their sources and patent. Basically, their design follow same procedure. I am sending you a little manual (through your private e-mail address). This time again, it is in Italian and I believe that that will not present an obstacle to you as you will be able (like absolute)to translate.
....6. total designed load on deck:...
Comment:- The total design load on the deck is to include the self weight of the deck, concrete slab, the services/installations etc and the live load. We have an EXCEL on deck design posted in this forum. Search and locate it and see if it meets up with your needs
.....7. type of structure with instaled girder:...
I did not get your question. Could you please rephrase your question?
If you should have a need for further tips, please post again.
Regards
Teddy

Thank you again, chigozie, this time I have all the answers I was looking for + I found some answers to my questions through the books these days.

Best regards
G