Civil Engineering Association
The world’s tallest building, the BURJ (Dubai) - Printable Version

+- Civil Engineering Association (https://forum.civilea.com)
+-- Forum: Various (https://forum.civilea.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Free Discussion (https://forum.civilea.com/forum-46.html)
+--- Thread: The world’s tallest building, the BURJ (Dubai) (/thread-7792.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

The world’s tallest building, the BURJ (Dubai) - chigozie - 01-04-2010

The world’s tallest building, the BURJ (Dubai) is to be inaugurated today (the 4th of January 2010). It is estimated to be of more than 800m tall!!. Could we discuss the conception, analysis/design and the realisation of the project (the construction), if possible model it with the noted (or the popular) soft wares as to compare their similarities, divergence and also to propose possible discrepancy in the results?
Regards
Teddy

RE: The world’s tallest building, the BURJ (Dubai) - chigozie - 01-08-2010

The Burj (Dubai) signifies one of the marvels of the present civilization. Considering the fact that it towered 800m above the ground level, it set a new record to be shattered. Looking at it from a layman’s eye, it seems an impossible engineering fit, which until its realization might have seemed same to the tutored eyes (the eyes of the engineers).
Presently, looking at it through our eyes as engineers, we cannot afford not to marvel at own accomplishment at our own time. This is a structure that depending on the weather condition, may seem to vanish into the high havens. The builders of the tower of Babel would have been awed by the ingenuity that went into its realization.
Coming back home, let’s take a rough and preliminary look at this structure. It is a tall slender structure as such is very susceptible to lateral or horizontal load that could be induced by such agent as wind or seismic wave etc. It is composed mainly of the occupiable spaces (the floors) and the towers (spaces used principally for the support of plants/equipment). The slabs and the beams do not form the most critical structural elements. The design of typical sets of slab/beam arrangement could serve any and/or all the floors of the building. But for each floor, there exists the possibility of designing individual columns. This is due to the fact that any successive floor above each plan adds to the load to be carried by the underlying or the supporting column. If we assume that up the height of 800m of the structure is composed of the occupiable floors and that the average floor height is 3m, then we have about 267 floors above the ground level.
Let the live load be 3KN/M^2
Let the dead load from the slab/beam (represent by 200mm thick reinforced concrete, though the floor is most likely to be of steel deck with light weight concrete as such will weigh less than that assumed, but putting into consideration the actual weight of the floor, the weight of the supporting beams, the partitioning, the fittings etc) be 25 x 0.2 + 1 = 6 KN/M^2.
Assuming that the lifts, shafts and towers (above the 800m level are supported by the shear walls or the shafts that housed the lifts but served principally as the horizontal force resisting structure)
Assume that the columns are arranged in a network of 4.5m x4.5m. Then floor area supported by a typical column = 4.5m x4.5m = 20.3m^2
At the ultimate limit state, the design load for the column per each floor supported = 20.3 (gG x 6 + gQ x 3). If the load factor for the dead load gG = 1.3 and that for the live load gQ = 1.5 (I am using the Italian code), then the ultimate design load (vertical load only) = 20.3 (1.3 x 6 + 1.5 x 3) = 20.3 (7.8 + 4.5) = 249.1KN.
This implies that at the foundation level, a typical column carries a load = 249.1 x 267 = 66426.67KN. This did not include the self weight of the column. Assuming 5% of the load carried as the weight of a line of the column, then a typical column carries 1.05 x 66426.67 = 69748KN (including its own weight).
If we use a typical steel section that has an ultimate capacity of 460N/mm^2, then the cross-sectional area of steel required to bear this load = 69748 x 10^6/ (0.85 x 460) = 1.78 x 10^8mm^2
TO BE CONTINUED
Regards
Teddy
(01-04-2010, 10:52 AM)chigozie Wrote: The world’s tallest building, the BURJ (Dubai) is to be inaugurated today (the 4th of January 2010). It is estimated to be of more than 800m tall!!. Could we discuss the conception, analysis/design and the realisation of the project (the construction), if possible model it with the noted (or the popular) soft wares as to compare their similarities, divergence and also to propose possible discrepancy in the results?
Regards
Teddy

Post edited.

RE: The world’s tallest building, the BURJ (Dubai) - dekin - 01-08-2010

you are not putting into consideration the wind effect/loadings on the structure?

RE: The world’s tallest building, the BURJ (Dubai) - warrior68 - 01-08-2010

Hello every body
Thanks very interesting topic i Uploaded in my 4shared account an important paper on the subject
Code:
Content of this section is hidden, You must be registered and activate your account to see this content. See this link to read how you can remove this limitation:

http://forum.civilea.com/thread-27464.html
Regards
warrior68

RE: The world’s tallest building, the BURJ (Dubai) - Agent66 - 01-09-2010

(01-08-2010, 07:36 PM)warrior68 Wrote: Hello every body
Thanks very interesting topic i Uploaded in my 4shared account an important paper on the subject http://www.4shared.com/file/38493198/b6751d34/burjdubai.html.
Regards
warrior68

This file reports as a keystroke logger in antivirus programs, I suggest people do not download it.

Regards

RE: The world’s tallest building, the BURJ (Dubai) - BennyP - 01-09-2010

It is only a sfx rar archive including one avi and a lot of jpg images. No virus detected. Preferable to post regular archive files and not self executable (the exe file are more easily infected by viruses) but this false alarm gave the chance to Agent66 to stop the warrior68 (as in a Hollywood movie). The warrior received a warn before for transparent links not for posting a virus. At least the both users don't post twice like every word and every post like chigozie.

RE: The world’s tallest building, the BURJ (Dubai) - chigozie - 01-09-2010

dekin wrote:-

you are not putting into consideration the wind effect/loadings on the structure?

Comment:-
Like I mentioned in the write-up, this is a rough preliminary view. I do not have
any structural information as to the building. Recall that I mentioned that the
Principal problem to be encountered is that of horizontal load as induced by
wind and seismic wave. I also mentioned that this involved only and only an
estimate of the vertical load. It is a mere estimate (not exhaustive)
Could any one please up-load detailed information as this structure for further analysis?
Regards
Teddy
BennyP wrote:-

The warrior received a warn before for transparent links not for posting a virus. At least the both users don't post twice like every word and every post like chigozie.

Comment:-
I had only done this mistake for only my last posting.
I think that I had also explained the reason for this mistake.
Regards
Teddy

RE: The world’s tallest building, the BURJ (Dubai) - Dell_Brett - 01-09-2010

Friends,

I posted a paper that describes the foundation design process adopted for the Burj Dubai
that I believe could be useful for this discussion. Refer to:
Code:
Content of this section is hidden, You must be registered and activate your account to see this content. See this link to read how you can remove this limitation:

Regards

Dell Brett

RE: The world’s tallest building, the BURJ (Dubai) - warrior68 - 01-10-2010

Hi everybody
(01-09-2010, 06:07 AM)Agent66 Wrote: This file reports as a keystroke logger in antivirus programs, I suggest people do not download it.
Regards

Sorry if this seems to be a Virus for your Antivir Program but I assure you it's harmless.

In my last post I promised you an intersting paper which was not in the Archive file sent.It's my fault(wrong manipulation).once again here is the paper hope you'll find it interesting.Plz Agent66 don't say it's a virus :wacko2:
Code:

Regards

RE: The world’s tallest building, the BURJ (Dubai) - rendel_© - 01-13-2010

Could the Burj Khalifa (Burj Dubai) be a 'storm machine'?

There is much speculation, on various architectural blogs, that the temperature of the Burj Dubai can be as much as eight degrees different from top to bottom. This has led to some pretty wild speculations about the physical properties of the super-tall building.

An article in the German newspaper Das Spegiel provided one of the best examples with the most outlandish claim reading as follows: “The tower is so enormous that the air temperature at the top is up to eight degrees celsius lower than at the base. If anyone ever hit upon the idea of opening a door at the top and a door at the bottom, as well as the airlocks in between, a storm would rush through the air-conditioned building that would destroy most everything in its wake, except perhaps the heavy marble tiles in the luxury apartments.”

There is certainly truth in that that there would be something of a ‘chimney effect’, this is why skyscrapers and other tall buildings with high atriums feature revolving doors which are never fully open to the air outside.

However, the main problem would be an exposed shaft with 850m drop right into the basement, - presumably the facilities managers have got this worked out so that it could not be allowed to happen.

However, speculation on various architectural blogs suggests this downdraft might be so great that it could modify, or even cause, extreme weather over continents. The idea of a janitor being able to cause the next cyclone Gonu is an odd one.

Trevor Patt, a Harvard graduate in theoretical maths disputes this, though: “Given that the cubic volume of Burj Dubai is more than 8 orders of magnitude (100 million times) smaller than the cubic volume of even a very small or midget cyclone, I'm guessing the cyclone would be doing most of the negation - my understanding is that the Burj Dubai was tested for winds up to 55m/s or 125 mph, which should make it a decent bet to survive a category one cyclone at least.”

So, no need to bolt a hurricane cage over your villa just yet then.

(This article is from Construction Week)