Civil Engineering Association
Sharing services - Printable Version

+- Civil Engineering Association (https://forum.civilea.com)
+-- Forum: Various (https://forum.civilea.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Free Discussion (https://forum.civilea.com/forum-46.html)
+--- Thread: Sharing services (/thread-6658.html)

Sharing services - BennyP - 11-24-2009

Last days some users complains about Rapidshare and I want to clarify some facts.
Basically Rapidshare is not different from other sharing services, it is only the bigger. Almost every sharing service offer a free and a premium service and for free always the download and the upload rate are lower, other limitations included.

RapidShare is a German-owned one-click hosting pay- and free-service (with certain restrictions and limitations) website that operates from Switzerland and is financed by the subscriptions of paying users.

Upon uploading, the user is supplied with a unique download URL which enables anyone, with whom the uploader shares it, to download the file. No user is allowed to search the server for content; all files have to be downloaded by following a given URL.

Premium accounts last for a certain number of days. Every premium account is limited to a maximum of 150 GB download traffic per month, divided equally over every day of the month. If there are 30 days in a month, then the user will receive 5 GB per day. The user is allowed to "save" traffic up to a maximum of 25 GB and can then spend the saved traffic all at once.

As of May 2009, the downloads limit has been established for Premium Members at 5 gigabyte per day. The unused volume is automatically rolled over to the following day, up to a maximum limit of 25 gigabytes. If the complete download capacity is used up during one day, the premium-user is able to download another 5 gigabytes the following day (or after midnight CET).

Every one can upload to Rapidshare but from a free account others (including a premium account owner) can download the file ten times only. After a period of inactivity (no one download the file) the file is deleted.
For a Premium account is no limit how many times the file is downloaded but for free user the waiting time and the low rate limitations slow down the download.

The advantages of Premium account:

No waiting time before downloading
Maximum download speeds
Up- and download up to 2GB sized files
See all features
Unlimited personal webspace
Unlimited maximum storage time of your files
Unlimited number of maximum parallel downloads
Privileged care on network congestions
Support of download accelerators
Resume aborted downloads

RE: Sharing services - concreteok - 11-25-2009

BennyP,

I would like to clarify this. You mentioned that no user is allowed to search content of the server. What's the current rapidlibrary.com searching is on the uploads by non premium users?

Thanks.

RE: Sharing services - BennyP - 11-25-2009

You can find a lot of sites for searching and i have a combination of words used to make an advanced search in google but they search and found the links (the famous transparent links).
You cannot search in my directory on server. The people don't know but if you give me a link to your file on 4share and your file is in a directory containig other files i can download all the files even if you saved inside files you didn't want to share.
With a premium account in Rapidshare i'm limited only by my connection bandwidht because they use a huge number of servers and high speed connections. I don't know about the other sharing services and i believe the premium accouns of the others are good too. In every one the priority and speed are first for the premium users and the others must wait (no money to pay but no special rights).

RE: Sharing services - struceng - 11-25-2009

(11-25-2009, 11:01 AM)BennyP Wrote: The people don't know but if you give me a link to your file on 4share and your file is in a directory containig other files i can download all the files even if you saved inside files you didn't want to share.

I want to correct this information. This is the default of 4shared, I agree but, there are options in the settings to disable this and others. Like this:

[Image: 03476870490220911181.gif]

[Image: 44807398583951737494.gif]

4shared is giving 10GB capacity with no charge. But connection is a little bit slow :no: