Civil Engineering Association
a challenge - Printable Version

+- Civil Engineering Association (https://forum.civilea.com)
+-- Forum: Forum Discussion (https://forum.civilea.com/forum-23.html)
+--- Forum: Suggestion & Complains (https://forum.civilea.com/forum-13.html)
+---- Forum: Archive (https://forum.civilea.com/forum-47.html)
+---- Thread: a challenge (/thread-5823.html)

a challenge - darren421 - 11-08-2009

as I told in other part of this forum, I think that all members like me ( working all day to get some money in pocket ) haven't so much time ( & $$$ ) to follow courses in the right way , but wish to become a
civil engineer, are looking to this forum as a main source of information and education. So that the 'inactive user' status should be quite common as I spend the most of my (free) time reading what other people are saying or downloading some software just to see how some problem are managed. I'm also a bit worried about the skill ( mine ) , I prefer keep silent while hear from other instead to say nonsense. Don't loose the forum membership it's important for me, but I ( and members like me ) need more time.
Challenge is :
I feel this forum really useful and of a certain professional skill .
Could experienced ( or professionals ) members become tutor ( better a 'Mentore' ) for members like me ? That's what I'm searching for , more than looking in software section.

My apologize to all could find this post stupid or worst offensive, but who loves science can understand .

Regards
Darren

RE: a challenge - concreteok - 11-08-2009

There are a lot of willing to help experienced engineers are in the forum. They may be very busy with their daily working life and doing work in this forum. but if u have problem, put in the PROBLEM section. If u do not receive response, you can always try to PM some of users here that u can identify their willingness based on their activities here.

p/s: give you some tips; all my section partners are experienced and helpful except me.

RE: a challenge - oanm2000 - 11-08-2009

Dear Darren41:
I'm a Civil Engineer with more of 23 years working in the structural and geotechnical sector in my country. I'm a Chief Engineer in a Consulting firm, with more than 50 hours a week dedication to my office. Additionally, I'm married with a young son... And sometimes I have to travel to another remote places to solve problems or assist to someone... My day start at 5 am and finish at 10 or 11 pm...
Why I tell you that? Because I am a very busy person, but my compromise with this Forum is a strong link... I want to learn every day... I want to collaborate every day...
I am a very busy person like you, but I want to be part of this Forum... The difference is that I try to dedicate time, a few time... but quality time... like Dell Brett, like Robertsas, like Concreteok, like Kamran, like Junaid...
I hope that I will have more news from you in the next future, good news... In this Forum
Regards
oanm2000

RE: a challenge - darren421 - 11-08-2009

(11-08-2009, 01:11 PM)oanm2000 Wrote: Dear Darren41:
I'm a Civil Engineer with more of 23 years working in the structural and geotechnical sector in my country. I'm a Chief Engineer in a Consulting firm, with more than 50 hours a week dedication to my office. Additionally, .......
.... I hope that I will have more news from you in the next future, good news... In this Forum
Regards
oanm2000

( Thanks all in their reply )
@oanm2000

Well Oanm, I assume You are my 1st tutor candidate ( :) ), because You, more than other, have really got what I mean. I just tell You that me too have 3 children and some people around me, same working years ( but in design field ), so it seems we have at least something in common, thanks again in Your reply. See You soon.

Regards
Darren

RE: a challenge - faros3000 - 11-08-2009

(11-08-2009, 01:11 PM)oanm2000 Wrote: Dear Darren41:
I'm a Civil Engineer with more of 23 years working in the structural and geotechnical sector in my country. I'm a Chief Engineer in a Consulting firm, with more than 50 hours a week dedication to my office. Additionally, I'm married with a young son... And sometimes I have to travel to another remote places to solve problems or assist to someone... My day start at 5 am and finish at 10 or 11 pm...
Why I tell you that? Because I am a very busy person, but my compromise with this Forum is a strong link... I want to learn every day... I want to collaborate every day...
I am a very busy person like you, but I want to be part of this Forum... The difference is that I try to dedicate time, a few time... but quality time... like Dell Brett, like Robertsas, like Concreteok, like Kamran, like Junaid...
I hope that I will have more news from you in the next future, good news... In this Forum
Regards
oanm2000

Well said Oanm. And that is all about: when you are busy, still give time and even better, QUALITY time...

If Dell Brett, Robertsas, ConcretOk, Kamran, Junaid, Grunf, Karla, Admin and you all that make this forum possible give time, why do the rest should just pass by and grab whatever they can and even sometimes without at least saying thanks?

For Newbees and Inactive users: do more. This morning i just found an incredible paper/article in this forum dealing with the design assumptions made by CSI´s Safe. Have you tried an example? Why don´t you run sensitivity examples and share your results with us?

For those that have asked for structural models in the project section: have you already run the birds nest Sap2000 model? What are the missing info in it, or the errors in the model, or at least, to what birds nest stadium it belongs to? If you ask for something, at least comment on ti and share information.

Do not be LAZY. We all can do this better. And I insist, I´d preffer to see this a select VIP club, than a supermarket for free.

THIS IS ONLY MY WAY OF THINKING, but i´ll stick to it.

BTW: For those of you that were curioius, I am kind of "working" in the birds nest model, so i hope not that far away i will post it with "minor" modifications, comments, and info from the original designer Arup

RE: a challenge - robertsas - 11-09-2009

Dear Faros3000,

I want to join with this topic.

I think, Admin choose a VIP member and Moderator NOT based on How the level experience/clever/old engineer or something like that..
May be you have MORE experience THAN Us in Civil and Structural Engineering field....Is very good if you get more active since last year..

He (Admin) choose us based on our activity on this forum, give answer that we can from our experience, share our files and makes this forum better with our thinking to improve this forum, etc..

So, if you or other member hope Us (VIP/Moderators) to answer all your question, I think you have WRONG understanding with this forum..
We are NOT your ADVISOR that must to answer your problem, we do our job in this forum FREE OF CHARGE....not payed by Admin...
But we are happy to give our time in this forum..

So, you must feel free if you didn't get the answer in all your problem..
SUPERMARKET ?
May I ask you, Do you have to pay for file or software that you got in this forum ?
I preffer to say this forum like our LIBRARY..

If you wanna to share your file our your experiences that we have not yet in this forum..
Please, we open our hand for you....and we say thanks a lot for your kindness..

Thank you for your understanding..

Regards,
Robert Sasmita

RE: a challenge - faros3000 - 11-09-2009

(11-09-2009, 01:41 AM)robertsas Wrote: Dear Faros3000,

I think, Admin choose a VIP member and Moderator NOT based on How the level experience/clever/old engineer or something like that..
May be you have MORE experience THAN Us in Civil and Structural Engineering field....Is very good if you get more active since last year..

He (Admin) choose us based on our activity on this forum, give answer that we can from our experience, share our files and makes this forum better with our thinking to improve this forum, etc..

So, if you or other member hope Us (VIP/Moderators) to answer all your question, I think you have WRONG understanding with this forum..
We are NOT your ADVISOR that must to answer your problem, we do our job in this forum FREE OF CHARGE....not payed by Admin...

SUPERMARKET ?
May I ask you, Do you have to pay for file or software that you got in this forum ?

If you wanna to share your file our your experiences that we have not yet in this forum..

Regards,
Robert Sasmita

Dear Robert,

I think you completely misunderstood my post, so may I kindly ask you to read it again?. And also some clarifications:

You are wrong in one thing: I am not that exerience/intelligent/clever nor have the last word! I bet a lot, a huge lot, of you are much more trained in Engineering than me...

But you are also right in one thing: I registered since december 2008 and just recently I am posting semi-actively. Worst even, you know why? I had an accident about a month ago that kept me in hospital for a week and since then I am mostly in bed at home (so I have a lot of time to spend in front of my laptop).

Forget a VIP title: that´s the reason why I am not even an active member.

And I really do understand all the work you do, and for free!!!

Anyway, I´m trying to commit myself to this forum, even when fully recover my health and join back my work.

Regards,

RE: a challenge - robertsas - 11-09-2009

(11-09-2009, 03:19 AM)faros3000 Wrote:
(11-09-2009, 01:41 AM)robertsas Wrote: Dear Faros3000,

SUPERMARKET ?

Regards,
Robert Sasmita

Dear Robert,

I think you completely misunderstood my post, so may I kindly ask you to read it again?. And also some clarifications:

You are wrong in one thing: I am not that exerience/intelligent/clever nor have the last word! I bet a lot, a huge lot, of you are much more trained in Engineering than me...

But you are also right in one thing: I registered since december 2008 and just recently I am posting semi-actively. Worst even, you know why? I had an accident about a month ago that kept me in hospital for a week and since then I am mostly in bed at home (so I have a lot of time to spend in front of my laptop).

Forget a VIP title: that´s the reason why I am not even an active member.

And I really do understand all the work you do, and for free!!!

Anyway, I´m trying to commit myself to this forum, even when fully recover my health and join back my work.

Regards,

Dear Faros3000,

I am sorry to hear your condition..

And I am Sorry too because Last time I am quick read quick respons, yes I miss understood with your word.
My english is badly to understand the story of you with someone else (finally I understand)..

But I want to keep my posting to give a clear explanation to all member who have a high hope with their question in this forum.

Maybe We can help, but maybe We cannot help to answer..
We realize, above sky there is a sky..

Thank you for your understanding

regards,
robertsasmita

RE: a challenge - darren421 - 11-09-2009

@robertas,

I feel You got in full my 1st post ( same as oanm2000 ).
About Your studies on nonlinear analysis based on EC8, I really would like help You, but I think my knowledge isn't at the right level for You. But, ( maybe ) following Your efforts and/or suggestions I could get a chance to learn a bit more on structures.
If You still need NISEE Library access, I will happy to give You mine. :-)

Best Regards all
Darren