Civil Engineering Association
Running Torrent Software On PC or Mac - Printable Version

+- Civil Engineering Association (https://forum.civilea.com)
+-- Forum: Various (https://forum.civilea.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Free Discussion (https://forum.civilea.com/forum-46.html)
+--- Thread: Running Torrent Software On PC or Mac (/thread-50934.html)

Running Torrent Software On PC or Mac - ykhackhack - 05-01-2015

Torrenting is becoming more and more important since file sizes are ever increasing

I want to explore this issue in order to understand the benefits and risks involved.

1- How to make a torrent inside a virtual machine and share it , safely
2- Which software is more reliable Vuze, bittorrent, utorrent or?

Can anybody describe these step by step?
Most important part of this is the safety?
My computer IT, don't like the idea even it is on a separate PC , by itself on the network?

I think somebody with an insight knowledge can guide us

Thank you

RE: Running Torrent Software On PC or Mac - Dell_Brett - 05-01-2015

Try this:

Code:
Content of this section is hidden, You must be registered and activate your account to see this content. See this link to read how you can remove this limitation:

http://forum.civilea.com/thread-27464.html

Use a fresh and valid torrent site to upload!

RE: Running Torrent Software On PC or Mac - ykhackhack - 05-02-2015

@Dell_Brett
Thank you for your time. Actually I have read that article before. My concerns were also malware ,virus, open ports etc.

I found following info,

Quote:Malware Risks

Given the instrumental role a computer plays in running a typical company, downloading a crippling virus or malicious file could feasibly bring a business to a grinding halt. While torrent downloads may present such a risk, the truth is it’s no greater than it is with any other file type, regardless of the source. When disguised torrent malware is opened, it’s often because the downloader has developed a false sense of security toward P2P networks. It’s not uncommon for a user who’d never dream of opening an unsolicited email attachment to double-click a downloaded torrent -- even though he knows about as much about the original uploader as he does any given email spammer. After downloading a legal torrent, always scan the file with an antivirus program before running it. Some torrent interface programs even offer plug-ins that automatically scan incoming files.
Data Safety

Many opponents of P2P file sharing claim uploading a torrent opens a gateway to a PC’s other stored data. This claim can be especially troubling to business owners, who fear employee files, payroll information and other valuable company data may be compromised. However, this is only true if that data is kept in the same folder as the torrent being uploaded. Because files downloaded through torrent sites are then passed along to other users, by default they’re stored in a folder that allows its content to be shared. So, unless you’re in the habit of storing critical business data in your computer’s torrent download folder, your company secrets should be secure. Still, for safety’s sake, it’s a good idea to turn off sharing for personal folders.

Related Reading: Dangers in Using Only Trend Analysis in Forecasting
Vulnerability

Although P2P networks don’t pose a direct threat to your company’s valuable data, they have been known to assist online hackers in gaining access to it. When a torrent is downloaded, the person receiving it gets a look at the IP addresses of all the contributing peers. Online hackers sometimes collect this information so they can target one computer at a time until a vulnerable one is found. The best defense against this kind of an attack should be obvious: make sure your PC isn’t vulnerable. Frequently scan your hard drives for viruses and malware, turn off “Remote Assistance” and “Remote Desktop” in System Properties and uncheck each in your firewall’s list of exceptions, turn off folder sharing, and set passwords for important folders.
Legal Troubles

Likely the biggest risk associated with torrents has nothing to do with malware infection, data leaks or the theft of company information. A good portion of the files available through P2P networks contain copyrighted material, making sharing of such data illegal. Moreover, the odds that an illegal file sharer will get caught are greater now than ever before. The film and music industries employ agencies that scour the Internet in search of violators, which they accomplish by tracing uploaders’ IP addresses and monitoring embedded trackers hidden in copyrighted movies and songs. Penalties range from suspension of Internet service to 10 years in prison and $250,000 in fines. To avoid legal trouble -- which likely wouldn't be good for business -- stick to downloading non-copyrighted or freeware files, or just stay away from P2P websites.

Also they suggest Turning of "remote desktop" "remote assistance" thru system settings.

Once you make a torrent, you have to "seeded" on your computer, you can erase the torrent, when enough computers starts seeding, torrent becomes stable.

And I am still searching for remedies, though

RE: Running Torrent Software On PC or Mac - Dell_Brett - 05-03-2015

I see your point and do agree with it! And, it's not only for torrents downloads, but for most of free sharing sites

What I do and I suggest to consider:
I have an old computer, only with Operational System, Strong anti virus (I use ESET Smart Security) and a good Anti Malware (Malware Bytes Anti-Malware is OK!) and firewall (COMODO Firewall) installed! No network sharing!
I use this computer for download purpose only! There's no any personal data installed (e-mail accounts, personal photos or documents, etc...).
Only after downloaded and checked, I transfer the file (via stick drive - no network connection!) to my laptop or main computer.

It's good for me, because this computer can be on overnight downloading, and I'm preserving my personal and professional use computer.

On the other hand, virtual machine (aka VMWare, etc) it's na good alternative and works well and it's relative easy to install and use. And, you can use a LINUX SO only for torrent and downloads.

I agree that it's quite impossible to be secure in this area (torrents, cracked programs shared, etc...), so, It's just my way to feel relatively secure!

Regards

RE: Running Torrent Software On PC or Mac - ykhackhack - 05-04-2015

@Dell_Brett
Thank you for your time
After reading a lot of articles about this, I see that your suggestions/recommendations wraps it up.
They also suggest VPN service in addition, for Anonymity

Cordially

RE: Running Torrent Software On PC or Mac - LiviuM - 05-11-2015

Hello,

I've recently configured a Synology DS1815+ NAS for a company, 25 employees. Email, website, cloud, ftp, WebDAV, users, permissions. And a router, Linux, ClearOS 6.2 on an old conputer, which is also running XP in VirtualBox (XP was needed for some windows only stuff and a serial COM port special network).

Both systems are quite impressive, in terms of stability, ease of use and functionality.

Think about uptime of at least 30days, during which constant usage (memory, cpu usage ....), no errors, no locks, no... whatever windows issues.

Most configuration is done in browser. A little putty and console for VirtualBox setup.

The good news is you can install and run synology nas software in virtual machine or old computer:
Code:
Content of this section is hidden, You must be registered and activate your account to see this content. See this link to read how you can remove this limitation:

And here's how it's menu looks like:
Code:

You can access it from mobile phone or tablet and check status as well as issue commands and more.
Code:

And there's no worry to leave it connected to network. It has also windows network access (Samba), ftp, webdav, browser transfer ...

ClearOS, is a little buggy but works, and you can install most stuff available for other linux distributions.
Code:

So you could consider running any above in VM or on some old computer.

Have fun

RE: Running Torrent Software On PC or Mac - LiviuM - 05-11-2015

Forgot to mention FreeNAS, haven't tried, although it looks promising.
Code:

And if anyone requires help I can share about 3 weeks of linux frustrating experience :).