Civil Engineering Association
ebook device - Printable Version

+- Civil Engineering Association (https://forum.civilea.com)
+-- Forum: Various (https://forum.civilea.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Free Discussion (https://forum.civilea.com/forum-46.html)
+--- Thread: ebook device (/thread-2298.html)

Pages: 1 2

ebook device - concreteok - 07-27-2009

Looking for a ebook reader/device. any recommendations? any1 tried kindle(unfortunately its not sold in my country)? ipod touch? hp tablet? many thanks ahead.

RE: ebook device - oanm2000 - 08-16-2009

I have an Iphone 3G, and I use it to read some e-Books, but I think that their display is too small to keep reading for a long time, it's good only for looking some references or look a given paragraph, not for reading the whole book.
I have saw the Kindle, Papyre (in Europe) and the Sony Reader, all of them about $300. Personally, I would prefer the Sony Reader, basically for the battery life and their design.
The Kindle (only you can buy it by Amazon) is expensive. The Papyre (a Spanish friend has one) looks as the Sony Reader, is some cheaper, but is difficult to buy one (you can find it only in some countries in Europe), then you need to travel to Europe to find it.
For their use, an e-Book reader it's excellent, because you can have all your library with you (Codes, Manuals, Handbooks, Books, Reports, everything you can put in PDF format). I hope that I will can buy one soon.

RE: ebook device - rendel_© - 08-26-2009

Anyone here in dubai knows where I can find sony prs-505 ebook reader?I have asked almost all big electronics stores here in dubai but they dont have it.

RE: ebook device - rendel_© - 11-09-2009

For a long searching here in dubai, I finally found a very nice e-book reader. An i will recommend this to those who want to buy ebook reader. An archos 5 android, the latest model of archos. Not only for ebook reading,you can surf in internet, watch movies, listen music and a lot more.you can visit in thier website to see more specs.
Code:
Content of this section is hidden, You must be registered and activate your account to see this content. See this link to read how you can remove this limitation:

http://forum.civilea.com/thread-27464.html
I just bought mine last week and now I can read all the ebook that I downloaded here anywhere and anytime,very clear and handy.
TIps: Dealer will suggest u to buy the archos 5, but you must look for archos 5 android, this is the latest one and more cheaper than archos 5.

RE: ebook device - concreteok - 11-09-2009

How much is that? How long the batteries go with one charge?

My companies has few jobs running in abu dhabi. i can ask them to get me that.

Ya. i got myself a kindle from north america. but dun put too much expectation on it. it can't run heavy graphic pdf and adobe files with DRM.

RE: ebook device - Agent66 - 11-14-2009

I would get a small 9" net book, they are fairly inexspensive these days and a bit more useful for other things.

RE: ebook device - medo_sk - 05-11-2011

Anyone has experience in using Amazon Kindle for reading engineering codes, manuals, books with plenty of graphics, tables and charts?

RE: ebook device - oanm2000 - 05-11-2011

My experience with the Kindle, reading technical books in PDF, and downloaded from the Internet (for example from CivilEA) is bad to terrible ... With the Nook, of Barnes & Noble, is somewhat better, but there are many problems to display graphics and formulas ... so these options should be discarded ...
If you want to have access to technical literature in PDF, full graphic, you must opt for the new devices like the iPad, Xoom or other Android device ...

RE: ebook device - usman - 05-11-2011

i use iphone for this purpose (if and when required)
other than small screen size (zooming) its all perfect...
depends which app u r using to read/view pdf... the one i use can handle file sizes in few hundred MBs

ipad is a good solution, but its a bit bigger in size... samsung galaxy tab (android) size is a good option

RE: ebook device - faros3000 - 05-12-2011

I am using from some months ago an iPad 64gb, with wi-fi only. I use an application named GoodReader (also exists for iPhone) that at this moment can read whatever I have/want in PDF (no matter how large any file is). I am reading technical articles almost everyday, as it is pretty handy and you can have your whole library in there and yet still have plenty of space left. I think I have as much electronic files as 20 to 25 times the printed books that are in my library. And believe me, my printed technical library is big; and by big I mean big...

I also have an iPhone 64, but I don´t use it for reading anymore. In fact I tend to use it only for sms, calling and music listening while jogging. I think am not that young anymore, so my eyes aren´t that good and fresh either.

I also use iPad for a lot of more activities in the office, like writing down calculations and quick hand-drawn structural details. I use UPad application for that, and I even took a whole-week certification-course writing everything on it (make sure you get a good stylus for using this app, otherwise using your finger can be slow). With the new OS update for both iPhone and iPad, I connect them via bluetooth, share internet from iPhone and that´s it, I have internet on the go in my iPad. Did I tell you I check all my e-mail accounts there? Yep, I do.

I know this looks like a bad commercial, but believe me, I travel a lot and the iPad is at this moment irreplaceable for me :)