Civil Engineering Association
Job Interview for Civil Design Engineers - Printable Version

+- Civil Engineering Association (https://forum.civilea.com)
+-- Forum: Various (https://forum.civilea.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Free Discussion (https://forum.civilea.com/forum-46.html)
+--- Thread: Job Interview for Civil Design Engineers (/thread-21392.html)

Job Interview for Civil Design Engineers - lednar_ved - 01-21-2011

Hi to all,

Just recently, I was being called by an employer informing me that my qualifications fit for their job requirements. I was invited to appear for an interview on Monday next week. This company is one of the reputed company in Saudi Arabia and they are looking for Civil Design Engineers. I just wanted to ask you guys if you have some tips, some advice, the Do's and Dont's on a job interview.

Of course, I do have already my experience but I wanted to know the opinions of other great engineers in this forum.

Thank you.

Regards,

Lednar_Ved

RE: Job Interview for Civil Design Engineers - RAULVB - 01-21-2011

Just honest and tell your prospected employer what you know.

Quote deleted by moderator

RE: Job Interview for Civil Design Engineers - cheo.smith - 01-21-2011

RE: Job Interview for Civil Design Engineers

Normally your resume should speak for you and hence you were short listed. What you need to do now is to finish selling yourself to the tribunal during the interview. You need to present yourself firstly as a professional and must be able to convince them that you are the one for the job. You must be able to demonstrate to them what you are bringing to the company and how this will be an asset to same. Ensure to do your research to gain enough background knowledge about the company and seek to substantiate why you want to be employed there. Be honest and composed ensuring that a beam of confidence radiates your face throughout the interview. Speak clearly in a modest tone and ask questions when in doubt. Listen and think carefully before attempting to respond to questions.

RE: Job Interview for Civil Design Engineers - gelbert - 01-21-2011

tips : early at least 15minutes, bring calculator, sample of work and dont be over dress
advice: clearly specify your salary,benefits (housing, cell and transportation allowance)
and OT
dos : honest and observe proper gesture. aswer to the point.brief and concise.
donts : dont badmouth your previous company.
bingo : when the interviewer asks at least 2 contact numbers of yours...thats it.

hope it helps,

regards,

RE: Job Interview for Civil Design Engineers - avscorreia - 01-21-2011

Do your homework:
- Find everything you can about the company, the position you're running to, their projects (past ex-libris and current), the person who runs the department and the guy who is interviewing you.
- Be prepared with a couple of questions to ask (company structure, possibility of training, future career evolution prospects) Show them that you intend to be a permanent asset to the company.

As gelbert said, don't badmouth your previous company and don't allow that they do it either.

Be honest, don't try to show a personality that you don't have, try to connect with people and try to know them as well. A job interview is not an oral college exam. You are evaluating them as well. If you don't like them, trust your gut, as you'll have to work with them for a while if you get hired.

And try to have fun! :)

Good luck!

PS: One more thing, a personal favour: If they offer you 50% less than you think is fair, as is it is starting to be the rule here in Portugal for structural engineering design jobs, make fun of them and just leave...

RE: Job Interview for Civil Design Engineers - jayborre - 01-21-2011

Hi Gelbert,

I've just read your reply on the thread. Just want to ask what do you mean when you've said that " when the interviewer asks at least 2 contact numbers of yours...thats it"? Does that mean that the employer is interested to hire you or just another way of saying "we'll call you, dont call us"? Is this absolute?

Ive had a similar scenario last week during my panel interview with my prospective employer. They asked for my numbers and want to meet me again for the 2nd interview probably by another set of managers from different departments or by the same set of persons who interviewed me.

Thanks in advance.

Quote deleted by moderator

RE: Job Interview for Civil Design Engineers - Grunf - 01-21-2011

@jayborre

this is just a phrase:
Quote:when the interviewer asks at least 2 contact numbers of yours...thats it
gelbert didn't mean it literally...

If they take your number this can mean that they would call you eventually in day or two or they just have sad in a nice way: "see you one day in future, maybe" - it can mean a million thing - this world today is really cruel...

With regards,
Ironic Grunf

RE: Job Interview for Civil Design Engineers - mastermind - 01-21-2011

just be honest about yourself
review steps of manual design calculations for simple members
review basics of structure analysis
(the stuff all of us studied at college but we don't use them on daily work)
it's very little things but for some employers it matters

hope i helped you

good luck

RE: Job Interview for Civil Design Engineers - lednar_ved - 01-25-2011

Dear All,

I just wanted to inform everybody who earnestly gave their opinions about my queries that I have successfully got the job. I'll be working soon in Saudi Arabia as Structural Design Engineer. I really appreciated the comments you all had given. In fact all of your comments are indeed very true.

Regards,

Randel Dev