Civil Engineering Association
dual monitor - Printable Version

+- Civil Engineering Association (https://forum.civilea.com)
+-- Forum: Various (https://forum.civilea.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Free Discussion (https://forum.civilea.com/forum-46.html)
+--- Thread: dual monitor (/thread-17502.html)

dual monitor - rendel_© - 10-10-2010

Hi to all members to this forum,
I want to set up a two monitor in one cpu.
I have already 2 monitors, I bought vga splitter coz i thought this the one required in having 2 monitors, but i didnt succeed. When I used the vga splitter the display is cloning only I cannot extend the display.
So, I search in the net and I found out that I need to buy vga to dvi adaptor to connect vga from my second monitor to my cpu which has dvi.
Now my two monitor was detected already in my system and I extended the display to my second monitor. The problem is my second monitor will remain black(no display) which is from the tutorial i saw it will automatically display the background and can drag the windows to the second monitor.
In my case now, I can drag the window display to my second monitor but I cannot see it.
Hope other members can help me or give advice what to do coz im trying to solve it out since yesterday(oct. 9 2010)
here's my graphic hardware image:
[Image: 03513856157088261821.jpg]

thanks..

RE: dual monitor - chigozie - 10-10-2010

reynand_d wrote:-
....Now my two monitor was detected already in my system and I extended the display to my second monitor....
Comment:-
Since your system detected the additional monitor, the problem may not be that of connection. Check your brightness, contrast etc and see if they are set at the right levels.
Regards
Teddy

RE: dual monitor - rendel_© - 10-10-2010

Thanks for your reply, but I think that is not the problem, coz I try to interchange the vga connector and it display on that second monitor and the first monitor was no display..only black and still i can drag windows to other monitor but in black display..
I put two image to show that my two monitor was detected in the system.

[Image: 62575752698986326831.jpg]

[Image: 19278036536176231103.jpg]

Thanks.

RE: dual monitor - verongskey - 10-10-2010

I don't know why you need a splitter but this is what I have.

I have a video card with output similar to this

[Image: 70955701628210392746.png]

[Image: 26862942746570567619.jpg]

1 - 15pin out, where your ordinary vga connector should be.
2 - 29pin out
3 - to convert 29pin to 15pin out where another ordinary vga connector should be connected also.

Please note: I don't know the exact name of those connectors, I just know how to assemble.

RE: dual monitor - rendel_© - 10-11-2010

the image of video card I'm using the ati radeon hd 5400 series:
[Image: 17920843922263470212.jpg]

I did the same as what u did I put the dvi to vga adapter this is the image of the adapter:
[Image: 50123288465784750713.jpg]
my problem now is the monitor connected to this adapter has no display only black..
If the adapter is not working why the system detected two monitor?
Is this setting problem or something wrong that i did or some parts is damage?

Thanks.

RE: dual monitor - mdmh10 - 10-11-2010

The problem might be in the Windows output. You need both your VIDEO CARD DRIVER and your WINDOWS MONITOR DRIVER to be set for dual monitors. You seem to have the WINDOWS MONITOR DRIVER set up correctly, probably need to work with the VIDEO CARD DRIVER.

Check your monitors independently to make sure you have the MONITOR DRIVERS installed (meaning check them one at a time). I used to have a problem with my HP w2207 monitor because it required an independent driver from the video card, while my HP f1905 did not.

You may also want to check your resolution, most monitors run on 1280 x 1024 just fine, or the hertz output to them, typically want a 60Hz output.

Anyhow, those two things are what I typically check when something is wrong with my monitors. Those adapters rarely have a problem since they are composed of a simple wiring system, fairly close to the wiring of ethernet cords.

RE: dual monitor - BennyP - 10-11-2010

You have s Graphic Card Adapter with two ports (A) - a VGA port and (B) - a DMI port. You connect a DMI to VGA adapter to port (B).
You have 2 monitors (1) and (2) with VGA connectors. With the configuration from your post #3 (by the way, one 1360X768 and the second 1366X768 ?) and connect monitor (1) to port (A) and after to port (B). Now connect monitor (2) to port (A) and after to port (B).
In every case you see the image ?

@BennyP,
Sir, both monitor will display in port A (with vga connector) and both monitor will not display in port B (with dvi to vga adapter).
About the resolution, I just follow the recommended and I try to make it the same, their's no effect.

RE: dual monitor - BennyP - 10-11-2010

If both monitors work in port (A) it's not a problem of monitor (both work with the resolution and with the fequency of your card). This question was for checking if one of your monitors can't display 1360X768 or the frequency (50 or 60 Hz) is not right for it. In this case the display will be black. The next step is to check if the problem is the card or the DVI to VGA adaptor. If you can check with a monitor having a DVI connector without the adaptor you can verify if your card output is the problem or the adapter. You wrote it detect the monitor but no display so maybe the problem is a defective adapter.
I saw your card is a PCI Express but i want to know if your bord have a integrated graphic card too (i have a computer with this configuration and both cards have two outputs but i use the external card only).

Finally I solve it.:clap::clap:...I just change the adapter..now working perfectly..
Thanks a lot to all of u guys for helping me to solve it out...without all of the suggestion above I cannot conclude that the adapter hove problem, specially to BennyP.:JC_cheers: