Civil Engineering Association
Opportunities outside the office - Printable Version

+- Civil Engineering Association (https://forum.civilea.com)
+-- Forum: Various (https://forum.civilea.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Free Discussion (https://forum.civilea.com/forum-46.html)
+--- Thread: Opportunities outside the office (/thread-17342.html)

Opportunities outside the office - CMSfromtheUS - 10-06-2010

Hello everyone. I am in the early stages of my engineering career and getting a little concerned that I'll be spending the rest of my work life inside the office. I'd be interested to hear the forum's thoughts on this subject.
I know I would be much more interested and motivated if I were more physically connected to the work that I was doing. What are career options for someone who would like to use their civil engineering skills, but would prefer to spend most of their day to day working outside of the office? It seems like a lot of consulting engineers don't get the chance to leave the office as part of their work. Without any regard for location or career level what are some specific job titles or companies with this kind of opportunity? Construction comes to mind, any other suggestions?

RE: Opportunities outside the office - mtdingen - 10-06-2010

What about a job as an structural engineer inspector ? Moreover, civil engineering works inspector ?

RE: Opportunities outside the office - essenza - 10-06-2010

I guess the best job with a lot of traveling overseas is as field engineer in the oil service company like schlumberger, very good salary also, but your civil engineering might not be of use. However if u want to keep in touch with civil eng and a lot of work than try construction management but for infrastructure project. Usually it involves a lot of traveling also but not overseas. I prefer the third job by the way. Work as stock trader, collect money in no time and then use that money to travel around the world :)

RE: Opportunities outside the office - CMSfromtheUS - 10-07-2010

Thanks for the responses, these are good suggestions. Infrastructure such as sewer and water distribution systems are primary interests of mine. Anything that serves the public in such an essential way is an honorable profession, from design to operation. Civil engineering in general, besides being the manliest field of engineering, is the most necessary for society. Its just sometimes hard to feel that from the office.

I might be too much of an idealist thinking that these kind of opportunities exist where I can get my cake and eat it to. The stock trader option is intriguing though...

RE: Opportunities outside the office - lirizen - 10-16-2010

I would suggest to work in a design&build contractor firm. You may have the chance of doing all scope of works from Engineering-Procurement-Construction(EPC). It may be more interesting and excited should it involved with real $ come out from your own pocket. I'm sure I myself will squeeze my brain out to optimize what ever method i can find in the EPC process to maximize the profit.