Civil Engineering Association

Full Version: Box Culvert design analysis
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Dear Kowheng,

Using your example and skills, how do you calculate the efforts in a tunnel of lime bulk, in a silt-clay (moderate resistance) soil, as the project bellow:

Code:
Content of this section is hidden, You must be registered and activate your account to see this content. See this link to read how you can remove this limitation:

http://forum.civilea.com/thread-27464.html

Thanks in advance

Dell Brett
Dear Dell Bret,

We can use frame model (1-5 m section), from your drawing I think we can anlayse for 5 frames, using the greater height to design for reinforcement for each section. Don't forget to apply point load from equipment supporting point.

For culvert structure, I think this method will be enough. Don't be worry to much about heavy reinforcement, it's better than it fail.

Regards,
Greetings

I disagree with you should not use ETABS or any other program the fact that the ETABS not have modules for roads or bridges, does not mean it can not be used for a sewer and even for calculating an air tank, simply calculate all loads by hand and then applies them to model and ready, the engineer must use the programs, not programs engineer. Now that SAP or other software is easier to carry the load, if I totally agree. Well it is a reflection not to be controversial but to say that us are not software engineers.
I apologize in advance if these reflections offend someone

thanks
For Multi-cell box culvert for roadway, vehicular load analyzed by SAP2000 will give you moment/shear envelop, just define proper vehicular load. When you combined with dead load, earth pressure you will get combined moment/shear envelop also. For vehicular loading location that give max. positive moment is not the same location that gives max. negative moment. This is an advantage of SAP2000 for box culvert for roadway.

For other type of culvert, I agree with jcoronellr from his point of view. With static loads only we can use any analysis program which it can model frame/plate/shell elements.

For SAP2000, only frame elements can be applied for vehicular load pattern.

Regards,
SAP 2000 is not any different from ETABS. Rather to me, ETABS is even more organized than SAP 2000. Be it SAP 2000, ETABS or any other software, any one of them can do the analysis and design comfortably. The analysis/design of box culvert is not anything difficult. It could as well be hand analyzed and designed (i.e. manually). You can analyze the vertical walls and the top (cover) as a frame-a simple one-bay frame for that matter. The floor could be analyzed and designed as a floor supporting moving loads or as a raft footing supporting uniformly distributed static loading as the loadings are static loads both on the vertical and the horizontal members. The dynamic effect of the passage of moving objects such as vehicles or planes or whatever it may be, could be taken care of by amplifying the static loadings coming from the supported objects and materials. These could be easily lifted from any text, such as the reinforced concrete designers’ manual or any other text book or from the codes’ manuals. Ones the loadings are imposed on the structure, the analysis and design are straight forward as such could be carried out with any software.
Regards
Teddy
Pages: 1 2 3