Civil Engineering Association

Full Version: Should supervisors/mentors transfer their knowledge to their researchers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,
For the last few days, I had a few discussions with some of my friends and colleagues which regards the subject question: Should supervisors/mentors transfer their knowledge to their researchers?
I know that persons research is a research done by one individual, but supervisor is there to direct you through the right path. Wouldn't be easier, and thus more productive if he shares some of his own experience to you? Or maybe it isn't so good because it doesn't give you the full opportunity for your own deduction?
I want to see what are your opinions.
Best regards
freequo
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." - Most notable version by Isaac Newton

If your supervisor is making you reinvent the wheel, he's not doing a good job. In science, the idea that you have to find the correct path all over again is like putting little mice on a wheel and expecting that they have moved miles and miles. Science only moves forward if results and knowledge are fully disclosed for everybody.

Best regards.