Civil Engineering Association

Full Version: Report Duplicate Thread Here
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
For reporting duplicate thread, use report button, and in your reporting put duplicated topic links,
for dead link use posting tools and post, "Mirror links request" or "New Links request"
Admin,

The user who report dead link might not be requesting for new link.

Its good if users can alert mods of any dead links and they are quickly removed. Nowadays most of the threads has many links (dead within the good ones), its good to utilise user who tried (while they are looking for material) on the links and notify the mod which links are dead and need to be removed. So, the decision as in #11, is just to post eg.

#5 dead link
Code:
Content of this section is hidden, You must be registered and activate your account to see this content. See this link to read how you can remove this limitation:

http://forum.civilea.com/thread-27464.html

Of course, the next question is, whether the mod need to check the claim before deleting.

I may suggest the user who contribute links to do checking on the existing links before uploading them. Those the thread which has plenty links (say more than 3 or 5), in my opinion, does not need anymore alternative links as once they get inactive, there are another round of labourios task of checking/deleting.

And best to not upload to the same share site (as different countries has different site being blocked) as the existing working links.

I note that we never delete any post that based on our rules but the links are dead now, we do not delete it, if we found new links we`ll update it by new post.
Hello,

If link is dead , I recommended keep it , and do not delete it ,because maybe file name of file can be useful to use it for search on my HD or search engine , Then we can update the link.

Regards,
Dear All,

Sorry for one more time posting about my doubt.Today I found one duplicate thread and I reported like below picture .

[Image: 17158078517133125448.jpg]

i.e in Reason Box, I write like this

Duplicate Thread (Link of Latest duplicated thread).

Please kindly let me know that Is it ok for our moderators to merge this threads.

Regards
kvtasp
Dear Admin,

Thanks for your all supports and advise.
Now a days I am finding a lot of duplicated thread.Today also I found two threads.Then I reported as shown in POST#15.
But I have one suggestion from below searched result pic.

[Image: 52652390358971625937.jpg]

This search result having same book name but contain different editions. So my suggestion is If somebody start a book name with different edition, they can continue the latest edition in previous edition. Otherwise Please put Book name with Edition as Heading.

Also in that searched result pic. you can see a request. In that request members can refer the link to specified thread to get the request(if it is already shared).But in this thread you can see both reference and downloaded link.So now you can see Three threads with same name.I feel this also a type of duplicating.

Here is that links for your reference
Code:
Content of this section is hidden, You must be registered and activate your account to see this content. See this link to read how you can remove this limitation:

Please don't feel bad anybody.
This is my suggestion to keep our forum Always best.

Regards
About the three reported "duplicated" threads:
the 1st one is 5th edition
the 2nd one is 4th edition
the 3rd one is request for book

...thus those are not duplicated threads, just the titles are incomplete - those do not contain number of edition.

About reporting duplicated threads by adding a link to report - I'm totally OK with that.

About reporting dead links and not asking for new one - I'm not for that, because I always mark dead links as I look through daily posts - I'm not gonna surf CivilEA and look for dead links randomly.

Best regards to all,
G
Dear Admin and Moderators,
Last few days, i have posted some new books this forum. every time i have searched the book title, writer/editor name to make sure that it will not be a duplicate thread. i use the civilea toolbar for search which i have installed on my firefox browser. Even taking this precaution, i saw, a new thread i have just posted is a duplicate, because i can the see the similar name of thread in "Possibly Related Threads..." below the new thread. That thread "Stress, Strain, and Structural Dynamics" was merged by lisine and he give a nice note "Always use search before making new thread.". Thanks to him. after that when i tried to search "Piping Handbook" that was not shown in search result. so i proceed and just after making the new thread:
Code:

i found it is already in forum
Code:

i tried to delete by "Edit" button. it still there.
i think search toolbar has some limitation or my procedure is wrong. plz give your advice.
Dear i-kabir,

First of all, thanks for your contributions! Great!

Our search engine isn't perfect! Unfortunately have some limitations, and I experienced several times. Some of them are not implicit in the search engine characteristics, but dependent of the post quality.

1- Our search engine is CASE SENSITIVE. It's bad because any poster could use her own criteria;

2- It's less effective if use several words or combinations.

The best tip I can say is:

a) Start using only ISBN number....

b) If have no results, try using only one or two key words (of title). Don't use the whole title!.

c) With a bit of practice, you can improve the results efficiency.

Anyway, keep active and be sure that all moderators are here to help you!

Have a nice weekend

Dell Brett
Yes, the seaech engine isn't perfect but:

First search using only a part of the title and searching all the forum

[Image: 07515507685144045378.gif]

And the result (your last post and the previous posted a long time ago)

[Image: 66659992807407154193.gif]

Another search using another part of the title

[Image: 96190200633713453065.gif]

And the result is the same.

[Image: 51030327982208816386.gif]

My impression is the engine (not case sensitive) search only the first row (the title) and the ISBN number people sometimes use it as a whole number and sometimes not so is not usable.
Pages: 1 2 3