Civil Engineering Association

Full Version: Design of 5,000 Gal. Elevated Tank using Staad Pro.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Design of 5,000 Gal. Elevated Tank using Staad Pro.

[Image: 90912990629038007516.jpg]

[Image: screen.png]
[Image: 20341599838255508318.jpg]

[Image: Download.png]

Code:
Content of this section is hidden, You must be registered and activate your account to see this content. See this link to read how you can remove this limitation:

http://forum.civilea.com/thread-27464.html

A new link

Code:
Content of this section is hidden, You must be registered and activate your account to see this content. See this link to read how you can remove this limitation:

http://forum.civilea.com/thread-27464.html
i am just a bit worried about posting a file which have not been verified if it is properly done or not, upon initial review of the file I find it that there are a lot of parameters that have been neglected and it is also not in compliance with the code. the internal pressure of the fluid has been neglected this will induce impulsive and convective pressure on the side wall during earthquake on top of the static pressure. another very important issue is the weight of the fluid itself is ignored but the live load value is included in the weight definition for seismic mass this is absolutely wrong.

furthermore, the force reduction factor for building cannot be used for this type of structure. Probably what I would have done if I am the author of the file is to issue a disclaimer that anyone who would like to use the file should verify the same. Without the disclaimer this would be very dangerous for those who will just blindly adopt it as a reference.

just my two cents.
@asec
Your point is well taken.
Even the "Building Codes" and well established "Commercial Softwares" have disclaimer about the responsibility of the User for the implementation.
Engineers or Architects who are using these codes ultimately responsible for the final design.
Codes are minimum guidelines and requirements.

Quote:Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete (ACI 318-11)and Commentary
First Printing August 2011ISBN 978-0-87031-744-6
American Concrete Institute®Advancing concrete knowledge Copyright by the American Concrete Institute, Farmington Hills, MI. All rights reserved.

..........The technical committees responsible for ACI committee reports and standards strive to avoid ambiguities,omissions, and errors in these documents. In spite of these efforts, the users of ACI documents occasionally find information or requirements that may be subject to more than one interpretation or may be incomplete or incorrect. Users who have suggestions for the improvement of ACI documents are requested to contact ACI via the errata website at www.concrete.org/committees/errata.asp.
Proper use of this document includes periodically checking for errata for the most up-to-date revisions.
ACI committee documents are intended for the use of individuals who are competent to evaluate the significance and limitations of its content and recommendations and who will accept responsibility for the application of the material it contains.
Individuals who use this publication in any way assume all risk and accept total responsibility for the application and use of this information.
All information in this publication is provided “as is” without warranty of any kind, either express or implied,including but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose o non-infringement.
ACI and its members disclaim liability for damages of any kind, including any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of this publication.
It is the responsibility of the user of this document to establish health and safety practices appropriate to the specific circumstances involved with its use.
ACI does not make any representations with regard to health and safety issues and the use of this document.
The user must determine the applicability of all regulatory limitations before applying the document and must comply with all applicable laws and regulations, including but not limited to............

Carefully reading above would clearly explain this.

Best regards
Dear All,
I do not go through this file but images shows that meshing for plate element is not performed, therefore induced stress results in the plate element will be wrong.

Regards,
Oram