Civil Engineering Association

Full Version: Ram Concept users
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi everyone,
I'd like to ask Ram Concept users about how should I draw the perimeter beams of a slab that's Curved, without having errors in Meshing like "operation stopped at (X,Y)" and when You look at the finite element mesh at some places parts of the beams are Gone,what is the problem In this Case.

Regards,
Husam.

I am not sure you can draw curved elements in Concept. My only experience I have with concept is via import from RAM Structural. I know that you can not draw curved elements in RAM Structural so I can only assume that it is the same for Concept.
What concerns me in perimeter beams that they are required for seismic matters sometimes plus the behavior near the edges will Change,right?
Have you tried segmenting the curved beam into several straight lines?
Well,that's what I did and I got that error.
There may be an error because concept will not let you use segmented beams either. Concept may just assume the there are a bunch of beams hanging out in mid air with no support. I.E. The beam must be connected to a girder or a column on each side.

I would suggest using columns at each end of the segmented beams, because concept is not designing the beams in the first place. It is only designing the slab. You can design the curved beam in another program or by hand.
Dear Goober,
The problem isn't in designing the beams it's in the behavior and analysis of the slab when the beams exist or not,presence of beams Will drain the load to them and slab's deflection will be less,please correct me if I'm wrong.
Adding the segmented beams and columns will serve as a rigid support for the slab analysis and design. The defection of the slab at that area should be controlled by the curved beam that is supporting it. Therefore if you want to know the slab deflection, you can assume that it will be the same as the beam deflection.
Anyway, without the perimeter beams my design will be more conservative.

Now aside from the curved perimeter beams,does anyone has a solid grip on how to use the design sections in Ram Concept? their Lengths?where to use one-way or two-way design sections?
The tutorials that accompany the RAM Concept manual are a good resource for the design sections.
Pages: 1 2