Civil Engineering Association

Full Version: Linux Engineering Machine
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Let us bring together the experience of all forum user with Linux and try to build an alternative Linux Engineering System using free software if possible.

I am not sure how many of you appreciate this Idea of Linux Engineering System

Thanks
(07-01-2010, 11:10 PM)Solution Wrote: [ -> ]try to build an alternative Linux Engineering System using free software if possible.

care to elaborate. you mean program softwares or what
Yes I mean software. Linux comes in many favors, we can have CELinux, "Civil Engineering Linux". We can pick software that runs on Linux in different civil engineering fields and have a distribution. It starts by finding the programs that run or can run on Linux with modifications. We should also find alternatives to those that do not run and promote it. Putting it into a distribution is simple task. So in other words, pick software and alternatives and provide how to for these software.
Good Idea.
By "softwares that Run on linux" you mean the softwares that run in Wine emulator right
Run using Wine or run natively on Linux. I know that some companies stopped support for thier products on Linux like Pro/E

I hope here we can make a list of a couple of programs for each category which either run natively or using Wine (Prefer natively) and then build our Linux Distro

First step is putting categories and support applications (by support applications I mean Open Office as Alternative to Microsoft office that we can use for our spreadsheet)

I will start by suggesting GRASS GIS
Code:
Content of this section is hidden, You must be registered and activate your account to see this content. See this link to read how you can remove this limitation:

http://forum.civilea.com/thread-27464.html