Civil Engineering Association

Full Version: Numeric modulation of ash dispersion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
We have for some time now witnessed the disruption in air travel due to the ash spewing from one of Europe’s volcanic mountains. Lots have been said of the ash-including the fact that it could interfere with the functions of the aeroplanes as such could lead to engine failure thus to air disaster. This is now becoming a new frontier for the scientists and engineers alike. I would be grateful if those who have knowledge/experience to this phenomenon, know of some books or articles that dealt with issues relate to the numeric modulation of the dispersal of this ash could share it. If possible, could we form a group as to model the present scenario with any software? hand calculation? etc. what do you think about it?
Regards
Teddy
for some times, I've been looked for a kind of appropriate and sophisticated finite element program to learn, of course it's not a full version and has cr**k on it. One software which is I've ever try is DYNA (not ADINA). It modelled the blasting sequence (e.g. from a bomb) and then depicted the air flow through a specific distance.
I think, those phenomenon can be good-modelled using those software, but I don't know if those still exist.
I do learn mathematical modelling, but I'm not an expert, I'm still a novice.thumbup
pram wrote:-
....It modelled the blasting sequence (e.g. from a bomb) and then depicted the air flow through a specific distance.

Comment:-
Could you please write down (in details) whatever information that you have (both formal and informal)?
Regards
Teddy
@Teddy
what I mean from those words are: I'm trying a software (called DYNA) and one example included on those software is the model of exploded bomb and thus the surrounding air is affected by those bomb, that's what being depicted by the software, that's what those software do. I think that's going to be a start to modelling those ash dispersion.
I just remember that one of my colleague doing the same thing, but he did it in water. He's trying to modelling pollutant dispersion on the river using finite element. It's been a while, but I still remember his work, and I think I still can ask him about his work.
ash dispersion is alike pollutant on the water, and ash can flew through the air. If we can, somehow, got the data about the properties of the air, perhaps the numerical modulation (or modelling) of ash dispersion can be done. I don't know, still have to read a lot.
You have some good points there. Try to make contact with that your colleague as to get details about his work. Though similar work on dispersal of pollutants in water have been done by several organisations like EPA, I think his work could provide a raw data on which to begin, before passing over to the actual thing. Did you say that we have the soft ware (DYNA) in our archive? If no please indicate on how I could get a copy
Regards
Teddy
@Teddy
I haven't seen those software on our archive (DYNA). I found it somewhere else but not here. It's been for a while since I try those software, but I think I still got the copy. Let me find it, and upload it to this forum. And yes, I'll try to make a contact with my colleague to get the details.
Let me ask you, why are you so interesting to do this?
pram wrote:-
...I'll try to make a contact with my colleague to get the details.
Let me ask you, why are you so interesting to do this? ....

comment:-
As to your question, well I am interested because I am interested. Some times, you may not be able to give reasons at why you did or wanted to do certain things. At times, we do certain things for the sake of curiousity and on the other part, to excise our brains and also explore other realms. I think it does good to our mental alertness. Or don’t you think so?
Regards
Teddy
:blush:
well..., I guess on the simple word is "a professional curiosity" I guess...
it does explain why we want to do something, even though we're not able to give a specific reason why we're on it.
thumbup

and you know what? after searching on my boxes, I found the software that I meant to. I think I miss-spelled on the software. It's ANSYS AUTODYN, not DYNA. :laie_14:
I try to make the software splitted, and you can evaluate those software.
:JC_cheers:
May be "a professional curiosity" like you said. So I am waiting
Again, I could not locate the software in the archive. Could you upload a copy?.
Regards
Teddy
@Teddy,

I haven't upload the software. it's difficult to make the archive, and I need some time to fix this. Please be patient.
I have ask my senior about his research, and I read it, he says that he using "the finite difference method" to solve his problem. It somehow confusing me, because it related to a mathematical equation which is I've never met before. Any idea?
Pages: 1 2