Civil Engineering Association

Full Version: Lateral Analysis In ETABS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(04-20-2009, 05:58 AM)Yasir Wrote: [ -> ]How can I apply building frame system ... i.e. How can all the Lateral forces be forced to taken by shear wall only

I found these 2 documents on the net . It was great help for me, they are for ETAB 9.2.0. Hope they help you.
Dear Yasir,
Please upload, PowerPoint slides for above as same is not valid.secondly, In Etabs, I have concluded from tutorial that, before assigning a wind load, we required to create dummy area objects at windward and leeward side which have no stiffness. But in CSI’s introductory tutorials, they have also created developed elevation definition at only leeward side. Why they did not create developed elevation definition at windward side. Please explain.

Thanks

Regards,

Fiaz
dear fiaz its not by me its from promo8
OK.Thanks Yasir.

Regards,

Fiaz
Dear Yassir :
Lateral Story drift is against seismic
Lateral displacment wind load
Lateral story drift (UBC) =0.7*R*Ds<0.02 ,( if the model scaled ) where the Ds valus from Etabs output.
-if the model not scaled so you should take it =0.7*R(Ds/H)<0.02, where H=story height.

-lateral Displacement <H/500 , where H is the height of the building , and the wind speed is 100mph according to ASCE
Also dont forget to use the values of cracked section in order to have right checks
vertical elememnt =0.7Ig
Beams =0.35Ig
Slabs=0.25Ig
Hi, I think If columns have relases on each flor under the beam, then all lateral forses will be taken from the shear walls.

(04-20-2009, 05:58 AM)Yasir Wrote: [ -> ]How can I apply building frame system ... i.e. How can all the Lateral forces be forced to taken by shear wall only
(05-18-2009, 03:32 AM)simanta Wrote: [ -> ]

I think, it is better to make two models. In 1st model you give pins at both column ends, so all eq load be taken by shear wall and do shearwall design. In 2nd model you design beams and columns according gravity load only, but you should confined reinforcement in the column to avoid prior shear failure (please refer to ACI318M-08 chapter 21). :)

I'm agree with what simanta said = putting pins at column's ends,,only i was thinking about upper end of the column, just before the beam, and this way shear walls will take all lateral load.

Regards Gini
Pages: 1 2