Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Author: kowheng
Last Post: BennyP
Replies 14
Views 12399

Foundation: Prestressed Concrete Pile Design
[Image: 78230941324089318697.jpg]

Attached Files
.xls   PC Pile CAL.xls (Size: 36.5 KB / Downloads: 871)
What code of practice does the spreadsheet follow sir??? Is this applicable for solid, round or octagonal sections???
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to lambert for this post:
  • farahshaheen47
This spreadsheet was designed for general case.
Allowable stresses can be inputted as you want and conforming to code you use.
Any section can be design, because you have to input Area(Ag), Moment of Inertia(Ig), and Section modulus(Zg) yourself.
[-] The following 7 users say Thank You to kowheng for this post:
  • Dell_Brett, concreteok, Sumatra, ska51, danny045, farahshaheen47, 3fan
Sir, I had capsulized my queries about your spreadsheet. Please help me to understand it very well because I'm not well knowledgeable in allowable stress design. I'm using Strength Design since I practice Civil Engineering. The following are my questions:

1. What is PS,HS,PI and DH stand for?.
2. Is there a general rule to estimate fci' at transfer, fci at transfer and fc at service given fc'?
3. How to determine the maximum allowable prestressing force (in kN) so that the prestressing steel will not break? Is this the same with the breaking strength on ASTM Standard?
4. How can we know if the section can adequately support the given bending moment (if there is)???. Is it by performing interaction diagram like in R.C.???

I'm using ACI and AASHTO as reference code.

Regards
  • farahshaheen47
Dear Friend,

Please refer "Prestressed concrete Design" by Gerwick in which a particular chapter is devoted for prestressed pile design which will help you to understand almost every thing you want. The book is already available in the forum.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to jacs127 for this post:
  • farahshaheen47, oram
Friend,

I need a brief answer to my queries for now due to lack of time to read such reference.

Regards
  • farahshaheen47
@lambert

1. What is PS,HS,PI and DH stand for?.
It is just name of different pile type. You can define it with your own way. The table stored these values is designed for your convenience. You can ignore it if you input Ag, Ig, Zg manually.

2. Is there a general rule to estimate fci' at transfer, fci at transfer and fc at service given fc'?
From my experience together with codes in my home country(Thailand), fci = 0.6·fci' and fc = 0.45·fc'

3. How to determine the maximum allowable prestressing force (in kN) so that the prestressing steel will not break? Is this the same with the breaking strength on ASTM Standard?
Yes, it is the same.

4. How can we know if the section can adequately support the given bending moment (if there is)???. Is it by performing interaction diagram like in R.C.???
No interaction diagram, just check it as beam. Critical moment, practically, is at transportation stage.
[-] The following 10 users say Thank You to kowheng for this post:
  • eng donny, LadaHitam, Dell_Brett, rkce, 3fan, ska51, sodapas, albani, farahshaheen47, utan
Sir Koweng,

I have one (1) question left. How to determine the moment factor for transport moment for example if we have 1, 2, 3 or 4 pick-up points???
  • farahshaheen47
@lambert

Do your own analysis.
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to kowheng for this post:
  • albani, farahshaheen47, usman
How do we handle the case (i.e. pile capacity) when the unsupported length of the pile like in a marine structure is very high, for example the klu/r is equal to 120???

Regards,
Lambert

How do we handle the case (i.e. pile capacity) when the unsupported length of the pile like in a marine structure is very high, for example the klu/r is equal to 120???

Regards,
Lambert

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Concrete: Prestressed Concrete Design mowafi3m 0 3,379 02-02-2011, 09:03 PM
Last Post: mowafi3m
Foundation: Lateral Pile Analyis with PY Curves and Non-Linear Pile Properties mskhaled 4 4,756 01-01-2011, 12:02 PM
Last Post: ravisbassi
Foundation: Assessment of Transversely Loaded Pile in Soil kowheng 6 4,984 01-24-2010, 05:31 PM
Last Post: SUSheikh
Foundation: Pile Group Analysis - PILEGRP Ultra Zone 0 3,367 01-02-2010, 02:05 AM
Last Post: Ultra Zone
Foundation: Hiley's Pile Driving Formula kowheng 2 8,195 08-28-2009, 08:49 AM
Last Post: kowheng