!!!! CivilEA Virtual Workshop STARTS !!!
Current time: 05-22-2018, 09:08 AM
Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Author: Administrator
Last Post: Administrator
Replies 38
Views 5505

!!!! CivilEA Virtual Workshop STARTS !!!
Dear CivilEA.com user;

after long time now we start this special section.
in this section we define a project & try to do it collectively.
i want to know your suggestion about this section.

for start soon we define a 15-story building (contain parking, administrative, commercial, ...). we try to model, analysis & design this building with help of members...
a team manage project (modeling) with help of other user ...

who is ready to join CivilEA-VW (Virtual Workshop) leader team?

:JC_boogie::gamer1::JC_handshake::JC_cheers:
Well am very excited to join.... Have pretty good experience in modelling and analysis of high rise buildings... I can contribute as much as possible to help others learn and in turn learn myself from others... Any particular software that you are suggesting for us to start the modelling... What about the plans...
Regards,
Vinu...

"A Smallest Good Deed Is Bigger Than Greatest Good Intention".

[-] The following 18 users say Thank You to vinnunsam for this post:
  • Administrator , usman, Grunf, Dell_Brett, bhawk0, rezart, dovsky, hapsea, rendel_©, Yasir, cve_jule, kashero, giga, yly8, kamran, levanduy, RANA WASEEM, pulikesi23rd
I propose to work in teams for different codes(eurocodes, international etc) and see the differences

i can analize the structure with axis 10
[-] The following 10 users say Thank You to hapsea for this post:
  • shpatone, rendel_©, Grunf, cve_jule, giga, rezart, yly8, levanduy, RANA WASEEM, pulikesi23rd
I like the idea of using different codes. I would personally suggest:
1. Create a workflow diagram, from start to finish. This will show the calculation procedure in schematic/diagram form. What are the inputs what are the outputs for each step.
2. Create a detailed descriprion of the requirements and illustrate with a sketch the concept and main features of the construction.
3. Create a BIM model for the structure, e.g. done in TEKLA Structures, and save the model as a industry standard model (IFC). This will be used also to generate drawings later, to show the model in a web interface and to export it to 3Dmax or other rendering softwares).
4. Use 3 or more major/popular codes for calculation (as suggested before), with step by step description and notes. It would be great if for each major calculation there was also a hand made calculation and a comparison of results.
5. Use 3 or more major/popular softwares for analysis (sap2000, Staad, ...).
6. Give a good overview of the project, also some remarks and advice from experienced users.
7. Make a single and well structured PDF document from all the outputs and also have all the source files attached so that users can try themselves to make changes, experiment and learn.
8. Enjoy the fruit of CivilEA and be happy that we are part of this amazing community :)

I am very glad someone took the initiative, I have been thinking about this about a long time, since I heard for the first time of the concept of crowd-sourcing :) cheers!
If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one.
[-] The following 22 users say Thank You to shpatone for this post:
  • oanm2000, Dell_Brett, yucapareja, rendel_©, kostis, Administrator , Grunf, cve_jule, hapsea, kashero, giga, rezart, melkat, Mhasan, kamran, levanduy, RANA WASEEM, 3fan, pulikesi23rd, niki102, jaks, nickycruz
The idea is very good. But I have some suggestions:

1. The main concept (floor plans and elevetion plans) should be prepared by one person. The plans should be in 2 variants - in [m] and [inch]. No complex stuff, please.
2. There should be given basic design conditions: concrete and steel classes, seismic acceleration, wind action, snow load, etc.
3. We cannot design the whole structure in details. We can design particular members of the structure, for example 1 column/beam/wall.
4. BIM model is not nesessary. If someone can do it, it is ok.
5. The main goal should be to compare the design procedures according different codes and share knowledge for designing and modeling high-rise buildings.

[-] The following 23 users say Thank You to ivanveliki for this post:
  • oanm2000, RedHorse, Dell_Brett, usman, vinnunsam, rendel_©, Administrator , Grunf, cve_jule, armed, hapsea, kashero, giga, rezart, warbeast, adams, yly8, kamran, levanduy, RANA WASEEM, student71, pulikesi23rd, niki102
It is advisable for the members to do the modelling using various softwares... I am good in using Etabs, Robot and Staad.... May be the Admin should come up with selecting a team and giving the responsibilities to each individual to carry out the modelling and analysis....

As noted above, it is better to define the Location of the project in order to determine various factors of analysis and also it is lucrative if a single person or a team (2 or 3) personal finalize the architectural layout and sections to start the work.... (If the admin already has one, it is even better. We can start the modelling right away)..

Regards,
Vinu...

"A Smallest Good Deed Is Bigger Than Greatest Good Intention".

[-] The following 10 users say Thank You to vinnunsam for this post:
  • Administrator , Grunf, rendel_©, cve_jule, hapsea, giga, rezart, levanduy, RANA WASEEM, pulikesi23rd
A very good opportunity to learn. I will participate as much as possible.
Y@sir
[-] The following 6 users say Thank You to Yasir for this post:
  • mrgoodboydatdat, Grunf, giga, rezart, RANA WASEEM, pulikesi23rd
(02-20-2011, 11:48 PM)shpatone Wrote: I like the idea of using different codes. I would personally suggest:
1. Create a workflow diagram, from start to finish. This will show the calculation procedure in schematic/diagram form. What are the inputs what are the outputs for each step.
I try to manage first project, Start to finish.

Quote:2. Create a detailed descriprion of the requirements and illustrate with a sketch the concept and main features of the construction.
Yes, for first project I`ll put one of my real project here.(Basic Architectural Drawings, Soil Repoert, ...)
Quote:3. Create a BIM model for the structure, e.g. done in TEKLA Structures, and save the model as a industry standard model (IFC). This will be used also to generate drawings later, to show the model in a web interface and to export it to 3Dmax or other rendering softwares).
This is good but not necessary, our main concept is analysis & design.

Quote:4. Use 3 or more major/popular codes for calculation (as suggested before), with step by step description and notes. It would be great if for each major calculation there was also a hand made calculation and a comparison of results.
we define main code for design, defining 2 or more codes is hectic but user can compare other codes during design.
Quote:5. Use 3 or more major/popular softwares for analysis (sap2000, Staad, ...).
as i told before all basic procedures will be define in start of project.

Quote:6. Give a good overview of the project, also some remarks and advice from experienced users.
:yes:

Quote:7. Make a single and well structured PDF document from all the outputs and also have all the source files attached so that users can try themselves to make changes, experiment and learn.
ofcourse, but it is BETA, may be we continue this VW in VIP section.

Quote:8. Enjoy the fruit of CivilEA and be happy that we are part of this amazing community :)
I am very glad someone took the initiative, I have been thinking about this about a long time, since I heard for the first time of the concept of crowd-sourcing :) cheers!
Wait for other gift from CivilEA.com.thumbup
[-] The following 11 users say Thank You to Administrator for this post:
  • Grunf, shpatone, armed, rendel_©, giga, rezart, melkat, Jeffrey Toledo, kamran, pulikesi23rd, niki102
(02-21-2011, 12:55 AM)ivanveliki Wrote: The idea is very good. But I have some suggestions:
1. The main concept (floor plans and elevetion plans) should be prepared by one person. The plans should be in 2 variants - in [m] and [inch]. No complex stuff, please.
Yes, I`ll prepare all information, but in one variant, I think [m] is better & most popular (for English or American user not)

Quote:2. There should be given basic design conditions: concrete and steel classes, seismic acceleration, wind action, snow load, etc.
all loading will be define first.

Quote:3. We cannot design the whole structure in details. We can design particular members of the structure, for example 1 column/beam/wall.
this is real project that will be design completely, all details will be design. particularly seismic design. (members, connections, foundations, base-plates, walls, serviceability, ...)

Quote:4. BIM model is not nesessary. If someone can do it, it is ok.
:yes:
Quote:5. The main goal should be to compare the design procedures according different codes and share knowledge for designing and modeling high-rise buildings.
main goal should be design & modeling high-rise building & control all things for it (learning it), I agree with you but comparing codes are not main goal but it is one of our goal.
[-] The following 6 users say Thank You to Administrator for this post:
  • rendel_©, kashero, giga, rezart, melkat, pulikesi23rd
I have not had the opportunity to work on a full design outside of course work. I do have lots of practical experience and some ETABS input, BIM experience, Autocad Drafting as well as scheduling and materials estimations.

I am interested in learning how to do a FULL STRUCTURAL calculation.
I look forward to obtaining your guidance in the matter.

Regards,
MDMH
[-] The following 5 users say Thank You to mdmh10 for this post:
  • shpatone, giga, rezart, levanduy, pulikesi23rd

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
CivilEA Virtual Workshop 2011 - Discussion Room Grunf 28 3,829 07-09-2011, 10:42 PM
Last Post: Administrator