Civil Engineering Association
design these pools with ETABS - Printable Version

+- Civil Engineering Association (https://forum.civilea.com)
+-- Forum: Civil Engineering Resource (https://forum.civilea.com/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Civil Engineering Documents (https://forum.civilea.com/forum-89.html)
+---- Forum: Calculation Notes & Analysis Files (https://forum.civilea.com/forum-80.html)
+---- Thread: design these pools with ETABS (/thread-7487.html)

Pages: 1 2

design these pools with ETABS - jcoronellr - 12-21-2009

pools can be designed with ETABS

[Image: 04869735463833083247.jpg]

[Image: info.png]
The idea is to show how these pools can be designed with ETABS

jcoronell

RE: design these pools with ETABS - ralarcon - 12-21-2009

(12-21-2009, 12:27 AM)jcoronellr Wrote:
pools can be designed with ETABS

[Image: 04869735463833083247.jpg]

The idea is to show how these pools can be designed with ETABS

jcoronell
Hi, you develop this practice or proposed to be developed by forum members?

RE: design these pools with ETABS - jcoronellr - 12-21-2009

Continuing the example

[Image: 36682281433293112322.jpg]

greetings

Lets start by discussing a previous step, as is the pressure to generate lateral thrust from either land or water.

to generate lateral pressure of earth or water on the walls of example, we can model different distributed loads, according to the depth of the walls and each elevation level with the height of the mesh applied, ie for each horizontal strip of areas .

Another way is to manually generate the charges is the general equation = Ax By Cz D

for the field P = 0.50 * specific gravity of the plot * h2 * Ka
Ka = 0.41, specific gravity = 1.8 h = 1.70, then Pt = 1.07 t/m2. this burden to implement the model we must divide the number of shell elements for the example is 7 nodes then 1.07 -0.15 = 0.92, 0.92 to 0.15 = 0.77, etc..

For water with c = -1, and the constant d = 1.70 m ...... that define the direction and height of water to the walls, P = [-1 * Z 7] x specific gravity of water = - 1000 * Z + 1700 = kgm / m2, vary the heights of water = Z, [1.7, 1.7-0.15 = 1.55, 1.55 - 0.15 = 1.4 and so Sucec

now the burden is placed on the wall nodes.

If I'm wrong please correct me thanks

Well, before hand that Sap2000 is easier to perform the exercise, as it brings the general formula implied, but the idea is to see that with ETABS can also be done and ETABS steels us more directly on the walls . because gender as piers.
continue after I leave here with a different image of the burdens placed into the model.

jcoronellr
[/quote]
Hi, you develop this practice or proposed to be developed by forum members?
[/quote]

greetings

The idea is to show that with ETABS can model this type of structures and obtain good results, can say that its logical

Jcoronellr

RE: design these pools with ETABS - mig21 - 12-21-2009

hi jcoronellr

can you refine your explanation ?

it would help

thanks

RE: design these pools with ETABS - jcoronellr - 12-21-2009

Greetings

What I want to express is the way you can put in ETABS loads manually, has a model like that tank following general equation = Ax + By + Cz + D, but I apologize for my bad English

jcoronellr

RE: design these pools with ETABS - ralarcon - 12-21-2009

(12-21-2009, 10:01 PM)jcoronellr Wrote: Greetings

What I want to express is the way you can put in ETABS loads manually, has a model like that tank following general equation = Ax + By + Cz + D, but I apologize for my bad English

jcoronellr

Hi use the Google translator.

RE: design these pools with ETABS - mig21 - 12-22-2009

hi can you post the model file to test ?

regards

RE: design these pools with ETABS - ak112233 - 02-02-2010

How do you add (Ax + By + Cz + D) for ETABS?
It is joint pattern definition fos SAP, not for ETABS. As I know, you cannot maka (Ax + By + Cz + D) defnition in ETABS.

RE: design these pools with ETABS - Alexander - 02-04-2010

I really find it strange because as ETABS was really a specialized software for building systems. Here is the capability of the software coming from the CSI website

Quote:For nearly 30 years, ETABS has been recognized as the industry standard for Building Analysis and Design Software. Today, continuing in the same tradition, ETABS has evolved into a completely Integrated Building Analysis and Design Environment. The System built around a physical object based graphical user interface, powered by targeted new special purpose algorithms for analysis and design, with interfaces for drafting and manufacturing, is redefining standards of integration, productivity and technical innovation.

The integrated model can include Moment Resisting Frames, Braced Frames, Staggered Truss Systems, Frames with Reduced Beam Sections or Side Plates, Rigid and Flexible Floors, Sloped Roofs, Ramps and Parking Structures, Mezzanine Floors, Multiple Tower Buildings and Stepped Diaphragm Systems with Complex Concrete, Composite or Steel Joist Floor Framing Systems. Solutions to complex problems such as Panel Zone Deformations, Diaphragm Shear Stresses, and Construction Sequence Loading are now at your fingertips.

ETABS is the solution, whether you are designing a simple 2D frame or performing a dynamic analysis of a complex high-rise that utilizes non-linear dampers for inter-story drift control.

Code:
Content of this section is hidden, You must be registered and activate your account to see this content. See this link to read how you can remove this limitation:

http://forum.civilea.com/thread-27464.html

RE: design these pools with ETABS - Murdock - 03-09-2010

Hi everybody,

I encountered one time a case where a pool was at the 20th floor of a 21 floors building.
I had to perform a seismic design for it. My approach was to consider the pool full with water, and load the structure with a uniform pressure = [rho*H_water].
But I never was 100% satisfied with this method.

I am asking, what is your opinion if it were to model in ETABS the water in the pool as:
1. a material having density=1000kg/m3, poisson ratio -0.99 and a very low elasticity modulus
2. a dense intersection of horizontal and vertical planes, as to yield overlapped cubes, assigning to this structure the material having "water" properties above
3. asking ETABS to find thousands of eigenmodes, until the concrete structure actually starts to participate... this might be solved by using Ritz vectors.

DId anybody try this and, if so, how can one check the results from the modal analysis? I am convinced that, if this step is correct, the rest should work fine.