Civil Engineering Association
Suggestion: New Thread List - Printable Version

+- Civil Engineering Association (https://forum.civilea.com)
+-- Forum: Forum Discussion (https://forum.civilea.com/forum-23.html)
+--- Forum: Suggestion & Complains (https://forum.civilea.com/forum-13.html)
+---- Forum: Archive (https://forum.civilea.com/forum-47.html)
+---- Thread: Suggestion: New Thread List (/thread-41723.html)

Suggestion: New Thread List - asim99 - 02-22-2013

Hi,
I think there should be a " Latest Thread List " ( like latest post list ) which should show only latest threads ( last 15 threads). The point is that new thread means that something new is shared ( most of the time this is true). But I am seeing these days that most of the people are just posting the mirror links for something which is already in the forum and as a result new threads get hidden in that latest post list and don't get attention of the users. It's my observation ( I may be wrong ) that user log in probably once a day, go directly to " Latest Posts " list, see the last 15 posts and that's it. If something valuable has been shared and it is now hidden under that list then it won't get due attention.

What do you think? Share your opinion.

RE: Suggestion: New Thread List - BennyP - 02-22-2013

I think is a good idea and maybe to add a limitation of daily permited posts by user too.
Not only when an user log once a day but even for me logging one hundred times a day somethimes is hard to see something after a hour because some users flood the forum with dozens of posts.

I appreciate the enthusiasm and sometimes when i see old and inactive users begining to be active i'm really hapy but please people take your time.
I asked in the past one of our users to limit the daily posting to 20 and i begin to think must be a rule because he is not the only one.

All subjects are important but not all our users search the same and i don't like to scroll two, three screens of the same subject posts when i wake up the morning and to miss something i want somewhere in the middle because i can't see the tree in the forrest.

RE: Suggestion: New Thread List - asim99 - 02-22-2013

I agree with BennyP. It must be difficult for Admins/Moderators to monitor all the posts and see if each and every post has followed all the forum rules.

When user post mirror links for something they are indeed doing a good job by keeping it available for others. But if the existing links are already working then I see no point in posting the mirror links.

You will agree with me that posting mirror links is way too easy thing to do then to post a new material. This is a great forum and it has huge list of resources already available for us so finding something which has not been available in this forum is not an easy task.

Everyday I find links for different civil engineering books on the internet and they looks to be something new but when I search it in this forum then I find that same book was shared here 2 or 3 years ago.

When I was suggesting the New Thread List, my thinking was that people who are putting more effort ( by finding new material ) should get more appreciation from the forum users and there threads should be visible at the home page to the users for longer time so others can easily access it.

I agree with BennyP that there should be a daily limit on number of posts. New Threads may be exception. This way Admins/Moderators will also get some rest.

RE: Suggestion: New Thread List - arshiakh - 02-22-2013

Dear My friends

I think that its better to add "View New Today's Threads" beside of the "View Today's Posts". By limitation of daily permited posts to 20, these problems dont solve. Beacase if only two members use 20 post in a day, so finding New threats is difficult.

Regards

RE: Suggestion: New Thread List - asim99 - 02-22-2013

Well I would suggest that limit of 20 post per day is way to high. In my opinion this limit should be based on experience. It can be as follows

1- For new users post limit should be 2 posts per day until their total post count is 20.
2- User with more then 20 Posts should have limit of 3 posts per day until their total post count is 50.
3- User with more then 50 Posts should have limit of 5 posts per day until their total post count is 100.
4- User with more then 100 Posts should have limit of 10 posts per day until their total post count is 200.
5- User with more then 200 Posts should have limit of 20 posts per day.
6- Admins/Moderator/VIP should have no limit since they are experienced and are not expected to make wrong posts

New threads should not be counted in daily post limits, that is only "Reply" should be counted in daily limit of posts.

I think this system will give following benefits.

1- New users make the high number of posts in their early times. Some do this because they are excited to be part of this forum and love to share, some want to show their activity and other simply want to increase their post count to get higher ranks. Limiting their posts per day will slow down this.

2- Slowing down new user's posts will give them more time to understand forum rules.

3- Since new users make most faulty/wrong posts, by limiting their post count Admin/ Moderators will have to check fewer post for problems.

4- Since new threads will not be counted in daily post count so this will encourage user to put more effort to share new material.

5- Forum will get cleaner look.

If you can think of other advantages or disadvantages of this system then please share.

Thanks

RE: Suggestion: New Thread List - arshiakh - 02-22-2013

Dear asim99

Grand information exist in this site with attention to long service of civilea and civilea is the best.
I think that at first we must try to keep this information. secondly, add new threats.
Now a part of links are dead. So I think that mirror links are very important.
I think that its better to add "View New Today's Threads" to solve this problem.

Thanks a lot