Civil Engineering Association
A concern about blocked sites - Printable Version

+- Civil Engineering Association (https://forum.civilea.com)
+-- Forum: Various (https://forum.civilea.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Free Discussion (https://forum.civilea.com/forum-46.html)
+--- Thread: A concern about blocked sites (/thread-21447.html)

A concern about blocked sites - hmwere - 01-22-2011

Hi fellow CiviliEAns, my concern may strictly not be Engineering related, but allow me air it out.

a) I recently posted a thread in which I requested fellow forum users not to post links that contained words such as "video" or "desi" in them. This I did because we are on institutional internet and many of such links are not downloadable for they are blocked.

b) I usualy read posts of some of my fellow forum users complaining that some of the file sharing/hosting sites from which they were to download some of the useful information on this wonderful forum were blocked in their respective countries. This became a bit nagging because I faced the same problem and I did not want to perturb the upload team by continuously asking for alternative links to the downloads. I still feel so bad and seems not appreciative for me to continuously ask for alternative links and yet so much time has been spent in uploading the already existing ones.

c) Now the only way I had to communicate back home has been blocked!!!! This has been through yahoo messenger or Skype.
I have been majorly using these sites to communicate globally (through conference calls) on Engineering matters especially this time around that there is a transition from the respective codes (for the countries concerned) to the Eurocode.

For all the information I gather(relating to the advancement in technology) I try relaying it back home. And it is helping them alot!!!! As it is said Actions speak louder than words. Through a conference call, many benefit by it: it relates closely to a webinar.

Not forgetting also having a chat with my family!!!

I would like to use the services of this great forum, I believe in this site so much and I believe that a number of software gurus/experts may be reading this thread.

I weighed the possibility of owning a private internet connection but found it uneconomical:-just for Skype/yahoo messenger!!

For the File sharing sites, I may not have much to say for there may be a lot of resaons beyond my understanding.
But for Skype or yahoo messenger, I would greatly welcome ideas from concerned experts about this, say they may have or may be in position to develop small proxy softwares that can be used to bypass these two fire-walled sites. I have tried using some( not all ofcourse) proxy softwares available on the internet but they are continuously blocking them too, after a while of usage, may be they have simple codes. I belleve a better and lasting solution can can up from this forum.

Thanks and I welcome all your advice in regard to this.

Regards.

@ Moderators : In any case you find this thread not befitting to the forum, may you not hesitate deleting it. I will not press charges......... joking!!!!

RE: A concern about blocked sites - ravisbassi - 01-23-2011

(01-22-2011, 06:34 PM)hmwere Wrote: Thanks and I welcome all your advice in regard to this.

Personally I am all for it. There is something called intellectual property. But that can only last for a short time. It is just a matter of if one man can conceive, the other would in due course.

Now, in the short term, yes we should respect the rights. That is why what we learn in this forum is for learning. Anyone who uses it for financial/commercial gain violates the ethos, and should be condemned.

If you use the forum for personal educational reason, then I think whatever is posted is like a friend sharing a book. If not, please pay to the original author/developer.