Civil Engineering Association
About Active & inactive User - Printable Version

+- Civil Engineering Association (https://forum.civilea.com)
+-- Forum: Forum Discussion (https://forum.civilea.com/forum-23.html)
+--- Forum: CivilEA News (https://forum.civilea.com/forum-76.html)
+--- Thread: About Active & inactive User (/thread-1301.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: [Important] About Active & inactive User - concreteok - 07-30-2009

'I also see there are some cracked software sellers in the forum. Who takes softwares from here and sell it outside.'

This might be very true and alarming. I see one of the member nickname matches an email add put up to sell crack.

RE: [Important] About Active & inactive User - Dell_Brett - 07-30-2009

Dear Admin and All,

Return to karla's suggestion, and according with kowheng, I'm afraid that, if have any kind of reward for "how active the member is", we will change quality for quantity of posts.

I understand and agree with BennyP that nowadays there's a lot of non productive (repetitive) posts and, consequently a hard work for moderators. So, my opinion and experience with others (good!) forums is:

1- Keep it SIMPLE! I think that 2 or 3 levels of members qualification is enough! It's minimize the risk of obsessive fight to be "the best".
2- Other point that I think that it's important keep simple is the rules! Altogether, people don't follow complex and huge rules! Simply most of them doesn't spend time to study, understand and follow!
3- Good start search page: -We have only two options to starting our search:
View New Posts | View Today's Posts
I don't know if is possible (or effective!!!) but, if we have any kind of filter or more options, like the possibility to search only new software(s), or exclude "request/problems" posts...
4- The last, and most important: - Moderators (and seniors members) are friendly but SEVERE! firstly educate/advert... in re-incidence punish!

It's absolutely OK that only 10% are active members! As kowheng said: "Non-active users are not cost much in term of server resources, let it be."

Well, all above is my point of view!

I'm really proud to be member of this forum and I'm not more effective cause I have no time and no fluency in English.

Kindly Regards for all

Dell (My computer name!!!!)

RE: [Important] About Active & inactive User - dirk - 08-02-2009

as a professional, i think we try our best to present the ideas or opinion in the best English as we possibly can and to enhance our image

RE: [Important] About Active & inactive User - geotecnico - 08-13-2009

(07-30-2009, 02:47 AM)aslam Wrote: Dear Admin,

Most of the Newbies are using forum for downloading softwares and cracks. I am not asking them to share software, books etc. but They should atleast share their knowledge, problems. They may be student of universities. They may share latest trends, methods etc of civil / structure engg which are tought in universities.

Aim of the forum is to spread and share civil engg knowledge among civil engineers of the world. softwares and cracks are just medium to learn this knowledge. I think we don't want to make our forum famous as "source of cracked software" but we want to make it famous as "source of knowledge"

I also see there are some cracked software sellers in the forum. Who takes softwares from here and sell it outside.

Plz note i am not telling all these because i am VIP. I will welcome any restrictions if put for VIPs from forum management.

Regarding steps to prevent this happennings, i left it to ADMIN.

Regards

Dear Admin,

these are my first letter to you, the english is not my original lenguage but i tray to explain in my opinion some of the problems, that we hace when use the forum.

1.- Most of new members learn how to use the site with the day by day or practice.
2.- Most case don´t read the rules and i think in this point you have to made the same that used the company that sale a product are you agree o don´t is a quetion, first you have to read before access to the forum o somethink like that...
3.- the access is by step i no´t and expert in this matter but you have a privileges for peoples that have a good maners, that is good rules.
4.- in my case i have a lot of information but i just traid in this fee week to learn how i made to bring to you or yours this information, in other words i just traied to learnd.
5.- is true that many peoples used the forum to access to a softwaer but you can´t stop this happend , the only that you can do it is made a different type of access and privileged for the people how shared and have a time to help other with an opinion about any thinks

Regard
Forgive my english

RE: [Important] About Active & inactive User - Administrator - 09-01-2010

As you know we have some problem with server in last days.
we have stable & good server but it is low for our forum, our forum now is big with rather a lot of user online, we must upgrade our server to have more stable condition, it has need more money. but money is not important for us, activity of users are important for us.

we have about 25000 register user that only 10% of them have minimum 1 post & less than 1% of them have more than 10 post, it is very bad that more than 99% of user is only customer & have no benefit for us & other user. it is not fair that we spend money & time for users that no activity.
therefore we decided to close registration in first step.
then we decided to limited inactive user & did this work today, we`ll expand this limitation more & more, very soon we will limit them to access some sections,
it is better for us & other user to have only 200 active user with stable & fast forum insist of 25000 inactive user with unstable & slow forum.

i notice to all members that no activity here, we`ll limited you more soon.

now they limit to see profile, user online, comments, ... but very soon they limit to access forum sections.

all these work are for you to have best engineering forum, that every engineer is need.

Regards
admin

:JC_handshake:

RE: About Active & inactive User - davidalejo - 09-01-2010

Dear admin

I disagree with the elimination of inactive users, we really need the information that the forum provides, which is of great importance to our professional performance, you really help engineers become better professionals around the world, you are the way to know the different technologies that are applied at least in this part of the hemisphere

I propose the elimination of users who have some time without entering the forum
but not the elimination of the users that use your forum very often

Regards from Colombia

RE: About Active & inactive User - alih3s - 09-01-2010

ok i am ready to help you but the main problem that i have few time as my studies on my country is very tough if you need any program or making cracks without trojans or creating viruses i am ready i have more friends over the world wide ready to help me but for knowing what will you need any thing except bentely & csi products please give me some information about you needs
i wait your reply
finally i am a new user so if you insist to do that at least give us a chance to show you what we have

RE: About Active & inactive User - ranui30 - 09-01-2010

I agree. This forum has been a great source of information for my profession as a structural engineer.

There is a wide range of information here that would benefit everyone. One option is to may be set up some donation scheme where we can contribute a small amount to make the relevant upgrades to the server upon registration.

It would be a shame to lose our privalege to access this forum.

RE: About Active & inactive User - alih3s - 09-01-2010

what about making this forum like premium forums pay to use it
we pay annual fees & you can determine the cost at least you can pay for the server which host the website but really don't banned us from this great forum i am egyptian & i swear that it is the best forum for civil engineering

RE: About Active & inactive User - oanm2000 - 09-01-2010

Sorry my dear friends, but I cant understand that a member of the Forum since February 2009 has not posted anything until such time as is notified to remove inactive users. I can not understand anyone saying that its occupation prevents you from actively participating when I should meet my engineering office at least 10 hours a day, meet my family and my students. All the days and every day. No time? I can not believe ... BennyP, Grunf, Dell Brett, Kamran, and other active members are professional engineers who have full agendas and can participate on a daily basis, effectively and permanently.
That some members are absent at any given time? we all do at some point, either for health or for business or vacation, but keep in touch. A comment, a post, a question, a message ... only ... that's asking too much?
I'm glad to see that after the Admin notice much efforts are inactive members to participate, Leoncito is an example: do not want to lose the opportunity of joining the Forum and is making an effort to stay. The effort we do who are concerned about improving the forum? or who want to stay without making any contribution?
The Forum of Engineering is to participate, share and grow intellectually, not to download the latest structural engineering software and then sell it to students or to use it until you get better from free, through the efforts of others, as the case of Timosi, who has worked to create patches to evaluate some engineering packages.
They want to stay in the forum? participate, contribute
Thanks for putting up with my bad English grammar
Regards
oanm2000