Civil Engineering Association

Full Version: Antivirus Softwares
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am receiving a lot of antivirus related personal messages todays. I hope these informations below will guide you to select or give up your antivirus software. All these softwares were installed and tested by me in the present/past. And all these comments are coming out from these experiences.

False detections while scanning cracked files or patchers are coming from packing. Especially packed files with Morphine and PECompact are the reason for this false detection. Not improved heuristics engines can not unpack these files and treat them as potential viruses (funny).

Alphabetical ascending order:
Antivir: Slow scanning speed, lots of false detection, very bad user controls, moderate resource usage
Comment: It has real problems with its warning popups. Sometimes you are unable to close these popups.

AVG: Very slow scanning speed, lot of false detection, good user controls, lot of resource usage
Comment: I was happy with AVG even with its false detections but it's slowness was terrible.

F-Secure: I used an old version.
Comment: No comments but I dont suggest it.

Kaspersky: Fast scanning speed, very less false detection, good user controls, less resource usage
Comment: In Sap2000 analysis it was scanning all the output files on the fly and it was locking my system (may be for other analysis softwares too). This problem was on version 7 but it was enough for me to uninstall Kaspersky.

Nod32 (Eset): Very fast scanning speed, very less false detection, good user controls, very less resource usage
Comment: I have no problem with it except limited control on real-time scanning. I am already using it.

Symantec: Moderate scanning speed, less false detection, good user controls, moderate resource usage
Comment: It's detection was good but it was slowing down my system too much.

TrendMicro: I used an old version.
Comment: No comments but I dont suggest it.

I recommend Windows 7 users to stop all Windows Defender functions if they are using an antivirus software because running them simultaneously will slow down your system.
for more information,
you can visit below link,
Code:
Content of this section is hidden, You must be registered and activate your account to see this content. See this link to read how you can remove this limitation:

http://forum.civilea.com/thread-27464.html

and i can suggest for us,
g data
avira..
In order to take VB100 awards, nearly all of these antivirus softwares on the market attend to the VB Conference with their top representatives. This is the most reliable test procedure I think. The web site is:
Code:
Content of this section is hidden, You must be registered and activate your account to see this content. See this link to read how you can remove this limitation:

If you dont know yet, also there is a very handy website that you can send and scan your files in the most recent databases of various antivirus softwares simultaneously and freely:
Code:

This is my first post here.
I very strongly recommend ESET products. Eset Smart Security(ESS) is undoubtedly the best security suite out there. If you need internet protection along with the Anti Virus, you should go for ESS(security suite). Otherwise you should go for Nod32 ant ivirus from ESET.

Avira Antivir is the best free AV software according to me. It is definitely better than Avast.

SuperAntiSpyware is a free anti spyware software which is vey effective.

If you have Internet connection, you should use a firewall(I'm not very satisfied with the inbuilt firewall in Windows). Security suites like ESS, Kaspersky Internet Security, Norton Internet Security etc have inbuilt firewall. If you're using only an AV software, then you should manually install a Firewall. Zonealarm is a good option (It's free and have low memory footprint).
thumbup
Avira Antivir Personal tops the list of the most downloaded programs this week (from softpedia). Take a look @
Code:

(bottom of the page) That itself proves its efficiency. Newbies please go for Avira if you are not willing to buy an AV software.
I will try my level best to regularly update this topic by providing the latest news, test results etc.
Regards,