Civil Engineering Association

Full Version: bmd sfd
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
yesterday one of my colleague was asking me whether i know any simplified method of solving continous beams and frames within 2 mins. was wondering how its possible coz i knew only classical methods which take atleast 15 20 mins?
(11-11-2009, 06:02 PM)king12 Wrote: [ -> ]yesterday one of my colleague was asking me whether i know any simplified method of solving continous beams and frames within 2 mins. was wondering how its possible coz i knew only classical methods which take atleast 15 20 mins?

For simple cont. beams & with uniform loads - use ready formulas

But for

non uniform loading, with diff. size & material, diff. spans there is NO SHORTCUTS.

Best things - use computer to work for you with small programs specially for this. for example, Simply supported cont. beam - use excel spread sheets OR WINBEAM etc. Don't go for STAAD or SAP2000.

That's my 2 cents,
Readymade formulas are there but when attending interviews you must have faced this sort of situation where you will be asked to draw bmd ans sfd for various sorts of continous or frames. At that time you cannot deny and say no i will use staad or any other software basically thats my intention.