Civil Engineering Association

Full Version: Code for Concrete Building Design in Egypt
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I am curious to know the building design practice in Egypt if engineer is using ETABS design tool. Egypt has its concrete design code but ETABS does not support Egyptian code, so how engineers use Egyptian design code for building designing unlike Indian code?

Thanks to all,
Oram
Hi Folks

With reference to my previous post, to make it more clear, what is the mostly used common analysis and design software that engineers use in Egypt to design the buildings/ structures which has Egyptian code? As I believe that Egyptian code is the combination of BS code and ACI code, so engineers may use either BS code or ACI for designing of structures using these commercial design software either ETABS, SAP2000, STAAD Pro. Visual Analysis, ROBOT, CSC Orion etc.

Hope that I would be clear to get your valuable feedback, please feel free to share your knowledge. It is not related to Egyptian code only, any country who has design code but such code is not included in the commercial software that we normally use, what they do?

Thanks to all,
Oram
Good day Oram. The first thing to check is which code the Egypt code is based on. E.g. here in South Africa, we use the South african steel code, which is almost entirely based on the Canadian steel code. Therefore if using a software which the South African Code is not available, I will then set it to Canadian Standard.

With South African code it can get a little complicated. The Steel code is based on Canadian code (CAN-CSA S16), while the concrete code is based on the British code. Then the cold formed steel code is based on Australia/New Zealand, and finally the loading code is based on the Eurocode. Sometimes this can get frustrating with software, as you need to then keep changing which codes you're using.

Also important to keep in mind is that most codes in the world nowadays are based on limit states design, while some ACI codes are working stress design. Be careful of this when using the alternate code, as the whole philosophy is different and it can lead to costly mistakes if you're not careful.
I can see the complications in this matter
How about materials' availability issue
Steel design could be even more complicated, if steel shapes conforming to American codes are cheaper than say Canadian?
After all in Global market prices fluctuates, most likely
What a dilemma?
Like to hear from practicing fellows