Civil Engineering Association

Full Version: Area Objects in Sap2000
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey people, i am trying to learn a little about this software, and i am getting a little confuse defining area objects

i dont know exactly the diference between the "shell", "plane", "asolid"

i really dont understand the options inside de shell

whats the differences between sheel thin/thick, plate thin/thick, membrane, and shell layered/nonlinear?

Plane is just used to model a state of stress or a state of strain in the program?

pls could anybody help me in understaing these differences?
(10-12-2009, 06:53 PM)anrk_sk8er Wrote: [ -> ]Hey people, i am trying to learn a little about this software, and i am getting a little confuse defining area objects

i dont know exactly the diference between the "shell", "plane", "asolid"

i really dont understand the options inside de shell

whats the differences between sheel thin/thick, plate thin/thick, membrane, and shell layered/nonlinear?

Plane is just used to model a state of stress or a state of strain in the program?

pls could anybody help me in understaing these differences?

Let down:

Shell: An object that uses all the degrees of freedom. It is suitable to model walls, shells, etc, etc. It can handle time and usually gives you a degree of rigidity.

Plane: It has fewer degrees of freedom than the shell. It is used to model plane stress state, it supports all forces in its plane and rotations in the direction normal to its plane.

Membrane: Similar to the plane, but the difference stowage in supporting forces in the direction orthogonal to its plane, and rotations escapaz bear across its plane. In a nutshell, is the opposite to the element plane.

The option of using a thin shell is when you neglect the effects due to shear, but when are representative then you have to use the thick shell option, as it is in short items.

The shells with layers allow you to shape up sections such as slabs with steel reinforcement.

In conclusion, for a plane stress state the plane for you, for you save computation time and especially if you are interested in now.

Check the manuals including SAP and ETABS, there's some more detail the case.
Hi,

I think u should visit proper website or take a proper book,
if possible than take class from proper classes
(10-13-2009, 10:24 AM)romuldzenon Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

It's also a good idea to consult specialized books. But remember that each program handles different types of elements in their own way, what I described was for the exclusive use of SAP, so you should always check the manuals for each program, of course, also be informed in general terms.
(10-13-2009, 10:24 AM)romuldzenon Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

Hi romuldzenon, I will appreciate if you can direct the member who asked for help to useful links, books, etc. Not just telling the member to take proper classes....

juice
Here is a link to video tutorials about SAP2000. Here you will find basic videos and advanced ones too
Code:
Content of this section is hidden, You must be registered and activate your account to see this content. See this link to read how you can remove this limitation:

http://forum.civilea.com/thread-27464.html
Code:
Content of this section is hidden, You must be registered and activate your account to see this content. See this link to read how you can remove this limitation:

Here is a link to video tutorials about SAP2000. Here you will find basic videos and advanced ones too
SAP2000 Video Tutorials
Code: