Civil Engineering Association

Full Version: Process of Approval of both Architectural and Structural plans
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
May we share here the process of approval of development plans ( both architectural and structural plans) in your respective countries by the respective authorities.

Thanks and regards
Dear
@hmwere
As you know this is very wide subject. Could you explain in little more detail, on how you want to approach this discussion.
Without a good guideline, I think it wont work
May be you can start with exploring the approval processes for "Residential Projects"
Otherwise the possibilities are
Bridge Projects
Roads and Highways
Commercial, Industrial projects
Water treatment projects
Gated communities (Residential)
Water distribution
.. and the list goes on

Some type of projects can be handled thru local authorities, but some of them go thru alot of departments and it takes very long time.

For example a residential project on the beach, has to go thru Federal Authorities, like (EPA)

Regards
Thanks ykhackhack,
Say if we consider building within the City (I am referring to only buildings i.e residential, commercial or public but within the City). What would it entail to have your architectural and structural submission approved?
Dear @hmwere

First of all every city basically have a Master Plan which requires certain type , size (area, height) to be planned and built at certain areas of the city.

Anybody who buys a property (land) knows what they can build there. (Zoning requirements)

There are classifications for zonings (residential , commercial, industrial ....)

Then requirements for the set-backs from property line, area coverage requirements, height requirements, pervious, impervious area restrictions, parking lot .. etc.

All of these have to be carefully calculated prior to starting an actual design.

Sometimes these zonings can be changed by applying thru city's related government entities ( takes long time - sometimes a year )

After all these , an actual architectural design starts.

Plan submissions are regulated and it changes time to time ( city might require more and more from design professionals)

( i think we have to remember that, requirements depend on how well the city is developed and restrictive )

I hope it helps