Civil Engineering Association

Full Version: English
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Dear members,

I opened this topic to ease the search for appropriate translation or meaning of English words and phrases.

Best regards,
Grunf

Can someone describe or show by picture meaning of phrase "mat caisson foundation"

Croatian speaking users can send me the translation using PM system. I'm reading some article, not having any picture shoving structure nor foundation and there is just one sentence saying "Foundation of structures is mat caisson foundation with
4.1m thickness".

I know the meaning of separated words, but not the meaning of the whole phrase as this is not the area I'm involved much.
i interpret it as a piled raft with caisson as the piles.
I concur with concreteok:
It is a raft slab (mat) supported on caissons (large diameter piles).
How do you "hear" this sentence (found it in some manual):

The last specimen FRAME 3 has similar geometry and reinforcement than FRAME 1 but its boundary conditions are very different.

It's kinda odd - it says similar than? Ain't those words cons each other? It can be similar to but it is taller than. Than is used in comparative statements?
My opinion:

The last specimen FRAME 3 has similar geometry and reinforcement
as FRAME 1 but its boundary conditions are very different.

'than' usually don't work with 'similar'
My take:
1. The last specimen, FRAME 3, has geometry and reinforcement similar to FRAME 1 but its boundary conditions are very (is very necessary) different.

2. The geometry and reinforcement of thel ast specimen, FRAME 3, is similar to FRAME 1 but its boundary conditions are very (is very necessary) different.