Civil Engineering Association

Full Version: Canals Cross Sections and Area Calculation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi i need a spread sheet or a small software which can help me building canal cross sections with given data points preferable in CAD format, which will later help in area calculations. Or any other solution related to this problem.
I really need solution. So any kind of help will be appreciated :)
Cheers.. !
(03-30-2012, 02:20 AM)adilch Wrote: [ -> ]... with given data points preferable in CAD format, which will later help in area calculations.

Even better, get them directly from your CAD software! ...well, I´m asumming you are using AutoCad. Here´s the procedure:
1. Draw your sections in Autocad (I draw them in layout view). Draw them with watever units you are using (e.g., 5cm, 5mm, 5in), as it will only give you consistent ones.
2. If you used several lines, either convert them to polyline or draw a new polyline over and then erase them.
3. Make that polyline a region (=>region, then select it).
4. Go to =>Tools, then =>Inquiry, then =>Region/mass properties and select your previous region. You will be shown all properties from your section, which can be exported to a spreadsheet.

Hope that helps!

Here you can find detail procedure for calculating section properties in AutoCAD
Code:
Content of this section is hidden, You must be registered and activate your account to see this content. See this link to read how you can remove this limitation:

http://forum.civilea.com/thread-27464.html