Civil Engineering Association

Full Version: How to Protect a CAD drawing?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi friends,
I almost sure that you're all ever getting problem, that you need your CAD Drawing should not be copied or distributed by other who you send the file.
So my problem is how can I protect a drawing I am sending to someone, with something like stamps, that hidden in model, but always seen if they print the file?

This case, remember me about stamp: "Produced by an Autodesk Educational Product".

But..., in my mind, can we protect our CAD Drawing with stamps, that we can create by ourself like: "created by jupe01 Happy"

if VBA or AutoLisp is a solution, how it make us sure that the code always load when the file open. Isn't it any option "don't load or disable"?

thanks before for anyone who can give me solution,

peace,
jupe.
Would you describe exactly what is your 'fear', as I can't understand properly.
You don't want something to be stolen from your DWG, or you don't want somebody to print the drawing without your permission?..or something else.

There is a password protection option, so only the person who knows the password can open the DWG.

Another option is to use a custom application that "unhides" some objects from the drawing, and if the 'opponent' doesn't have this application, he can't see those hidden objects.

Third idea is to define custom object types, associated with different application name (not ACAD), so the Autocad itself will show those objects, but they will not be editable.
Dear Jupe01,

There´s no effective way to protect a AutoCAD drawing (DWG file format drawing).
The Autodesk Stamp: "Produced by Educational...." is easily removable, consequently, any similar solution will be removable too.

All other alternatives: DWF file format, send as PDF file format, as GIF image, etc, are partially protection! All can be converted to DWG again (not pure, but effective for lines)

There´s a LISP routine (quite old) reasonably efficient to lock a drawing, named LOCKUP.lsp (see link below) that you can experiment if are useful for you. Don´t forget to make a backup of your drawing before using this routine! It´s irreversible for non expert programmers or CAD users.

Code:
Content of this section is hidden, You must be registered and activate your account to see this content. See this link to read how you can remove this limitation:

http://forum.civilea.com/thread-27464.html

Regards

Dell Brett

@ynopum
Thanks for the reply. Actually, I don't mind someone opens, edits or prints the drawing, but I would like he/she has a stamp "created by jupe' on the print out, while he/she could not see the stamp on the model/lay out when he/she opens/edits the drawing. So at least he/she needs to do something (e.g. erase the stamp) on his/her model in the file I sent, while he/she actually cannot see the stamp on the model. I agree with your second and third option. However, which application is more suitable in my case? What should I do in order to meet the second and third options?
Thank you.

@Dell Brett
Thank you for replying.
I agree with you that using method such as Autodesk Stamp: "Produced by Educational...." is easily removable, consequently, any similar solution will be removable. In my case, for beginner receivers, they rarely know the way to remove it, although I know how to remove it myself. the problem is I cannot make it although I know the way to remove it. Could you help me how to make it?
I agree sending it in DWF file format, PDF file format, and GIF image, etc, but there is a disavantage in sending the file in those formats, that i don't send them the original file (DWG file). My customer wants the file in the DWG format.

Thank you for the link LISP routine (LOCKUP.lsp).
Removing the "Produced by an Autodesk Educational Product" advert

Follow this steps:
1- Save the drawing as DXF file format: Use DXFOUT (in command line) or: SAVEAS --> DXF. Use another name;
2- Close the DWG file;
3- Open the DXF file;
4- Save as DWG.
That´s all! No more Autodesk advert!

Regards

Dell Brett
Jupe, you need quite specific thing. I am sure there was no such wish from anybody else yet.
There is a command "plotstamp" in the newer version of Autocad.
Such watermark (or plotstamp) you wish should be not an Autocad object (i.e. RTEXT) or anything that has coordinates, because the opponent can print another part of the drawing, where your hidden object is not in the plot area. It seems you need exactly this "educational stamp" effect, but with your personal contents. I can't say that I can even understand how autodesk did such 'marking' of the file. Could somebody provide here such "educational' drawing?

"damaging" and hiding objects in files is much more easier that your "watermark stamp" wish. You can use LISP (or ARX) applications to bring back damaged drawings to normal state, but as you said: such watermark needs an application to be present on opponents computer to print.
Check this out:

Code:
Content of this section is hidden, You must be registered and activate your account to see this content. See this link to read how you can remove this limitation:

http://forum.civilea.com/thread-27464.html