Civil Engineering Association

Full Version: College Lab Reports
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi ,

I need help making lab reports for college,since it's my first year dealing with reports.

What I'm asking for , how should it look , it must contain a cover paper as usual as a front page , defining the problem and what are we dealing with , Procedure, apparatatus and some calculation and results.

Since there is no samples in my book. I prefer using microsoft word for doing so.

Can anyone please share some previous reports he've made.
Thanks a lot ..
Lab Reports of Calibration of Weir

[Image: 76462736706186371903.jpg]

[Image: info.png]
Lab Reports of Calibration of Weir
Author: Myself
Submitted to AIT during my study

I am giving a sample copy where it showed the very standard way of report writing. I hope it is going to help you.

Regards
ska51

[Image: Download.png]

Code:
Content of this section is hidden, You must be registered and activate your account to see this content. See this link to read how you can remove this limitation:

http://forum.civilea.com/thread-27464.html

[Image: password.png]

Code:
Content of this section is hidden, You must be registered and activate your account to see this content. See this link to read how you can remove this limitation:

Hello

Well it's a bit difficult to share report previously made because of permission and so on

but the typical structure of a report is as follows:
it should contain a

1.Abstract
2. Aim
3. Introduction
4. Methodology (this is in past tense since the practical has already been done)
5. Data collection
6. Data Analysis (This is the most important part since its here that the lecturer will know if you have understood what you have done. Your data may contain error but your analysis should be correct)
7. Discussion (Question the way the expt. was carried out - comment on the accuracy of measurement - working conditions - and other factors that have affected (both beneficially or adversely) your practical)
8. Conclusion (comparison to prescribed results - refer to textbook etc, state firmly whether results are good or bad)
9. Reference ( this is very important to prevent plagiarism)

Of course your report should have a cover, acknowledgment, content table and figures table

Hope this helps you

Regards
Parwez
Many thanks for the brief information given to me by you professor's - You helped me alot guiding me on the right path , and saving me much time.

The sample given by M.Ska was helpfull , so thanks again.
Dear Friend (post #3),

Thanks for your information. But you should know that he needs only the contents of a laboratory report which he is going to submit first time in his college. What you have mentioned is required to write a technical report of a research (a thesis or dissertation). I hope he wanted a report which can serve him to prepare a lab report of his experiment which he has conducted in the laboratory in the course.

Above all, your information is surely going to help him a lot in near future. All the best.

Best
ska51
Dear interested friend,

I hope the book provided in the thread below would be much helpful in preparing your lab reports and relevant works. The name of the book is " The Idea of a Writing Laboratory" which is edited by Neal Lerner. It is published by Southern Illinois University Press in 2009.

Code:

I hope and strongly believe this book will be helpful for students and learners in our great forum.

You can see the book info from Amazon.

Product Description:

The Idea of a Writing Laboratory is a book about possibilities, about teaching and learning to write in ways that can transform both teachers and students.

Author Neal Lerner explores higher education’s rich history of writing instruction in classrooms, writing centers and science laboratories. By tracing the roots of writing and science educators’ recognition that the method of the lab––hands-on student activity—is essential to learning, Lerner offers the hope that the idea of a writing laboratory will be fully realized more than a century after both fields began the experiment.

Beginning in the late nineteenth century, writing instructors and science teachers recognized that mass instruction was inadequate for a burgeoning, “non-traditional” student population, and that experimental or laboratory methods could prove to be more effective. Lerner traces the history of writing instruction via laboratory methods and examines its successes and failures through case studies of individual programs and larger reform initatives. Contrasting the University of Minnesota General College Writing Laboratory with the Dartmouth College Writing Clinic, for example, Lerner offers a cautionary tale of the fine line between experimenting with teaching students to write and “curing” the students of the disease of bad writing.

The history of writing within science education also wends its way through Lerner’s engaging work, presenting the pedagogical origins of laboratory methods to offer educators in science in addition to those in writing studies possibilities for long-sought after reform. The Idea of a Writing Laboratory compels readers and writers to “don those white coats and safety glasses and discover what works” and asserts that “teaching writing as an experiment in what is possible, as a way of offering meaning-making opportunities for students no matter the subject matter, is an endeavor worth the struggle.”

Dear friends,

Please be informed that I prepared a sample "Laboratory Report Writing Guidelines" for those, who are at the very beginning of his/her study in engineering. I hope it is certainly going to help some of them in this forum. Plz follow the link below. I uploaded over there.

Code:

I also ask to all the members of this forum to add their feedback so that it could be a very good guidelines to be followed for the similar purposes.

best
ska51