Civil Engineering Association

Full Version: Structural Engineering opportunities in the Middle East
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi fellow CiviliEAns,

I have heard a lot of amazing facts about the Middle East ( say Dubai and Abu Dhabi).
It is said that the region's rapid growth over recent years has resulted in the availability of many different types of engineering jobs in both building and infrastructure. A booming population and the construction of the world's biggest buildings ( say the burj khalifa, burj dubai, palm islands, "the world on sea" )and other amazing new developments has in turn created a demand for new and upgraded civil infrastructure to support all of the development. This in turn calls for a work force.

It seems a place to be for a structural Engineer who would love to further his skills and career in the field of building design.

Well, I have no idea. I will be completing my Masters thesis in 4 months time, and I intend to give it a shot! And how easy will the shot be? I have no idea too.

There exists a lot of information on the internet if googled, but I believe CivilEA will give me the information, if not alll, I need.

I request advice from the experienced Engineers in this region, on how easy it is getting absorbed as one of the Middle East ( Dubai/Abu Dhabi) work force, and whether it is really the place for one to be if one is up for challenges.
Are there any other trusted websites that one can visit if they intend to seek for an opportunity in this region.

Regards

dear member!
middles east no doubt has more construction speed as compared to rest of the world! nd now the dubai story is old! saudi arabia is becoming dubai these days! im working in BAHRAIN! bt the projects we do here are for saudi arabia nd the rest of the wolrd.because its a small island nd mostly international offices are located here nt the actual projects to attract foriegners to give them open environment here...if you talk about DUBAI then..its too expensive! for a fresh msc like you in structural engineer i think the pay scale is 700 BD bahraini dinar or 7000 UAE dirham...just im talking about the basic pay! if u include all the allowances in good firm it would be abt 12000 i think..bt living in middle east sepcially in DUBAI is expensive! bt good experiece..
But i heard that Dubai and Abu Dhabi are actually quite slow now.
There is no much of foreign investor nowaday. Last year i heard they already oversupplied with engineers, especially structural. Are they still hiring?
Thanks all,
I am actually at cross roads here( say a T-junction).
I worked for 2 years in the water works field ( after my diploma-Water Eng)., thereafter 2yrs with a construction firm (after my Bachelors degree-Civil). Here I was involved in the implementation of works, right from inception to completion excluding the design phase.

During the implementation of works, i felt, at some moments in time, that the designs handed out to us for constructions to proceed would/ might have required some alterations to have them well-suited for their intended purpose. But I was of little or no help at all because I was less qualified, a Bachelors degree!!

This propelled me to think of doing a Masters degree so i could be in position to help out in this sector, thank God its all workiing out!

Now here comes the T-junction: Which is the best region that can avail me the best practical knowledge that I am seeking out to achieve in the field of structural Engineering? And what is the procedure of joining this region?

@ coolestbliss, you mentioned of Bahrain, may you please email me some of the prominent companies which exist out there, and all the basic requirements there are.

Every one concerned is welcome.

Regards.

Have you considered the Far East? Shangai and Hong Kong are booming with construction and I'm told the employment pages of the newspapers have entire sections just for civil engineers.

Best of luck.