Civil Engineering Association

Full Version: Regarding To " Codes , Manuals, And Handbook"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I have one suggestion regarding to Section " Codes , Manuals, and Handbook"
We can divide the title codes to be more specific for example

Codes:

-BS Codes
-ACI codes
-AISC codes
- Euro Codes
-ASCE codes
-ASTM
-AS codes
- Canidian codes
- other codes

Manuals:
-BS manuals
-ASCE Manuals
-ASCE manuals
-AISC Manuals
-other amnuals

and we can prepare a new separate section for Handbooks

I'd say this is great suggestion. I'm willing to (help) organize the Codes, Manual & Handbook subsection of the forum. As always you can count me in to organize this section to be easier for use.

I like suggestion made by mecheil.edwar, but there is a catch - Eurocodes, EN and BS are similar publications. Look here:
Code:
Content of this section is hidden, You must be registered and activate your account to see this content. See this link to read how you can remove this limitation:

http://forum.civilea.com/thread-27464.html
so I suggest title like "Eurocodes (British Standards and European Norms')".

And maybe it would be better not to have subsections (as described above):

Codes
Manuals
Handbooks

Let it be just:

AASHTO (American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials)
ACI (American Concrete Institute)
ANSI (American National Standards Institute)
ASCE (American Society of Civil Engineers)
ASTM (American Society for Testing and Materials)
Australian Codes
Eurocodes (British Standards and European Norms')
Chinese Codes
CSA (Canadian Standards Association)
CISC (Canadian Institute of Steel Construction)
FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency)
IBC (International Building Code)
Indian Codes
IRC (International Residential Code)
UBC (Uniform Building Code)
Other

I suggest that those full titles in brackets be placed below each abbreviation as a description e.g.

FEMA

(Federal Emergency Management Agency)

All suggestions are welcome.

Best regards to all
G
don´t forgot DIN codes! (For english publications!)
DIN Deutsches Institut für Normung

Regards

Dell Brett
We are moving in the right direction.

ANSI and ASTM should be under same heading. Combine them. Civil Engineers in the US really refer to ASTM. .............ANSI is archaic and I have never referred, or will, to it.

ASCE should stay as stand alone.

UBC (Uniform Building Code) should be dropped. It was regional even within US. Reference should be IBC (International Building Code).

It is great to see other members involved in making this forum better place for all. Nice to hear other opinions. I appreciate ravisbassi's post because I've learned something today - it is great help to me here in the fourm and in real life. (Really, I did know just a bit concerning those standards mentioned by ravisbassi).

OK, here goes a new list of the subsections of the Codes, Manual & Handbook section:

ANSI & ASTM (American National Standards Institute & American Society for Testing and Materials)
Australian Codes
DIN (Deutsches Institut für Normung - eng. German Institute for Standardization)
Eurocodes (British Standards and European Norms')
Chinese Codes
IBC (International Building Code)
Indian Codes
IRC (International Residential Code)
Other

As I said it is great to see other members involved in discussion. Please, you are all welcome to make your mark here. We (forum staff) can't just know everything on anything, so you have to help us make CivilEA even better.

Best regards
G
Thank you Grunf. I am very miserly in my appreciation. Here is mine - Thank you for what i observe you doing.

Having said that, a lot of our members are DIFFIDENT to express. Please express yourself. If you are constrained, Understood. In that case, please take care.
Grunf,
Please do not mix British Standards and EuroCodes because do not make any sense at all. In the near future EuroCodes will take the place of all building and construction standards for the 27 countries of European Union.
Nice discussion and suggestions folks

MY SUGGESTIONS
In my opinion there will be a section...
  • ICC (International Codes Council)
...instead of...
- IBC (International Building Code)
- IRC (International Residential Code)
- IECC (International Energy Conservation Code)
- IFC (International Fire Code)
- IMC (International Mechanical Code)
- IPC (International Plumbing Code) etc etc...

as ICC is the organization dealing with these and many other codes, see the link below
Code:
Content of this section is hidden, You must be registered and activate your account to see this content. See this link to read how you can remove this limitation:

http://forum.civilea.com/thread-27464.html

also instead of...

...there has to be Canadian Codes, as CSA have hundreds of standards but CISC just have few, or if they have to stay separate then probably another section be needed for NRC codes (National Research Council) that dominently consists of National Building Code of Canada and then provincial codes and Cement organization and Canadian Portland Cement Association etc
or it can be
  • CSA (Canadian Standards Association)
  • CISC (Canadian Institute of Steel Construction)
  • Canadian (other)
and also there need to be a separate section for
  • PCA (Portland Cement Association)
@ valinhas:
I'm not mixig them. I know what will happen in near future with those codes, that's way I've put reference link in my post #2. Today you can see a lot of codes with the title like "BS EN something something". EN is adopting other standards (in many cases EN, adopting BS standards) - that's way I joined British Standards and European Norms. As the future comes, we'll separate those codes. Thank you for your contribution here
One more thing, if you really think those codes should be separated, we'll do so. Just tell us should "BS EN codes" be in BS (British Standards) or in EN (European Norms) subsection? Or, I've made a new title for both "European Standards and Norms (British Standards and European Norms')". Hope it is better now?

@ usman:
Again, thank you for your valuable contribution - this is something I didn't know.

So here is new list, hope this one is OK (of course we can modify this list if needed):

ANSI & ASTM (American National Standards Institute & American Society for Testing and Materials)
Australian Codes
DIN (Deutsches Institut für Normung - eng. German Institute for Standardization)
European Standards and Norms (British Standards and European Norms')
Chinese Codes
Canadian Codes (Canadian Standards Association, Canadian Institute of Steel Construction, National Research Council)
ICC (International Codes Council)
Indian Codes
PCA (Portland Cement Association)
Other

Best regards
G
Well Dear Grunf,

I will explain myself for better understanding of building an d construction standards panorama in Europe.

As you know, by now, European Union is a set of 27 countries.
Eachs country have is own standard system and in the most part of those countries, standards and building codes have the strengh of a law paper.

All countries together with their universities and research labs work in a very interesting chalenge of bringing to the professional comunity the last results of research, a little bit like Formula One to the domestic car systems. So the construction EuroCodes appear and they are very dynamic on account of research progress. I believe we cannot find in the world something like this, even USA are taking some good lessons about this.

In the case of 10 EuroCodes from EN1990 to EN1999 and their parts, after final drafts (PrEN####), they become a European Norm (Standard) and all the countries have a dead line to adopt them as a National Standard. Also they are allowed to use EN and have not a National Standard.

But countries are in fact in diferent regions of Europe and the Snow, Wind and Seimic effects are them among them. So there is also a NAD - National Amendment Document where the interesting parameters to the specific country are.

So in the near future we will have NP EN, UNE EN, UNI EN, DIN EN, BS EN, AFNOR EN, SS EN, NS EN, and so on, it means that the EuroCodes EN1990 to EN1999 will be treated as National Standards also and they will have the strength of a law to force to use them as a rule. Think about what this do to the market of contractors and you will find the scope.

Thanks for the chalenge to explain this to the forum.

Pages: 1 2 3 4