Civil Engineering Association

Full Version: Interesting links
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Dear Admin and Moderators,

It's a good idea open possibility to post interesting and curious links about structures (in general). I'm not referring a existing "Famous Projects" forum.

If yes, where is the best place?

The idea is put links like:

Code:
Content of this section is hidden, You must be registered and activate your account to see this content. See this link to read how you can remove this limitation:

http://forum.civilea.com/thread-27464.html

Regards
I can't use words to describes these pics but i can't be sure of failure modes of the structure.

Can we have some opinions here or should i open up a new thread in open discussion?
There is no damage to superstructure. Also there is no damage to raft. Piles are broken. I think the cause of failure is DIFFRENTIAL SETTLEMENT. Lac of proper soil investigation.
@Dell Brett: excellent idea!

It would be a great thing to start a new topic involving the interesting structures, their construction, as well as their collapse, just as would be great to comment all the images/ links/ and videos related to the above mentioned structures.

Regards
G
Aslam,

u thk any truth to one of the comment in the web that broken piles do not have exposed reinforcement due to its prestressed nature?
The problem was that they were excavating soil from beneath the building to make sublevel with garages. Very stupid idea. I think the building then stood only on piles and they broke.
Other pictures can be found here:
Code:
Content of this section is hidden, You must be registered and activate your account to see this content. See this link to read how you can remove this limitation:

http://forum.civilea.com/thread-27464.html
If the structure rotated about a point, then it is design issue regarding pile foundation as that will mean local failure of piles and so there was rotation. If the structure footprint shifted, that means there was small side movement before collapse, then I think it would be excavation well below pile cap, with lateral forces shearing piles and then collapse. That is my guessing from the pictures.

Thanks