Civil Engineering Association

Full Version: structural engineer in newyork, usa
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I need to know what is the steps of gaining of P. E. (Structural engineering) in newyork, USA. Additionally anyone please upload the related books, publications

Thanks in advance

shanta
I dont think that book exist, as far as I know to gain a PE you need to do a test and pass it.

You need to do that in every state of USA where you think you are gonna work.
In this forum you will be able to find some examples of the P.E. Exam.
Code:
Content of this section is hidden, You must be registered and activate your account to see this content. See this link to read how you can remove this limitation:

http://forum.civilea.com/thread-27464.html

Also, visit the following address where you will find information about how to obtain your P.E. License in NYC.
Code:
Content of this section is hidden, You must be registered and activate your account to see this content. See this link to read how you can remove this limitation:

Cheers,
MDMH
For NY , you have to be green card holder to obtain PE license apart from passing an exam and fullfilling experience requirement.
Please see thread below for a book to help prepare for the exam. Most of the exam material is covered (I used it) and is otherwise a very handy complete reference. You will need some additional resources to prepare for the structural license in California, and I believe Florida, that require an additional paper in siesmic or wind design - you need to confirm.

General requirement to appear in PE exam is to first clear Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam. FE tests the basic knowledge taught in the first two years of engineering school (maths, mechanics of materials, thermodynamics, electrical science, fluid mechanics, etc.). No experience is required, but is more tedious to prepare the longer you appear in it after graduation. In US, students usually take it in their senior year when a lot of things are still fresh. You can get a waiver from FE if you have been working for more than 12 years, but it is good to pass it.

The PE exam requires at least 4 years work experience (3 with MS) and clearance of FE. A PE obtained in any state through exam will then be used to obtain PE in another state through reciprocity - that is fill out all the paperwork, but the exam is not required since you already cleared it. That is where passing FE is important, otherwise waiver is required in whichever state you apply.

Both the exams are administered by National Council of Engineering examiners. Their website link is also included below and will provide answers to most of your other questions.

Code: